Discussion: 'We've Set a Deadline': Moderate R's Demand DACA Deal By Tuesday, Or Else

1 Like

…or else they’ll demand a deal by Thursday. Or Friday. The following Monday if that’s better for everyone.

22 Likes

Growing an illusionary set for the mid terms.

11 Likes

That’s right guys, puff out your chests, point your fingers, and pretend that you are still relevant. That will show Trump and convince more idiots to vote for you.

7 Likes

Looking for Hispanic voters in 2018 to curb blue wave… this could be a tricky one to navigate. Dems need the vote but need to prevent R’s claiming the credit.

4 Likes

I’d be happy to share the credit with R’s on this one as long as the Dreamers are protected.

19 Likes

I don’t believe them, but I’m ready to be pleasantly surprised. I am a results-oriented person. If some moderate Republicans want to act to protect the innocent, I am happy to have their votes that day.

13 Likes

“…or they’ll join forces with Democrats to force a floor vote on a bill along the lines of the DREAM Act.”

Wake me when that happens.

Don’t get me wrong, I would like to see that happen, but the spines of so-called “moderate” Republicans is more wobbly than jello in a 9.5 earthquake.

17 Likes

How about striking a deal the Friday before Labor Day? That’ll work!

1 Like

Not expecting anything out of this, but if the “moderate” GOP realizes the tsunami coming for their party, then maybe, just maybe, something might happen.

6 Likes

I’m hopeful that this is a sign that Republicans will start peeling away from the crazier parts of themselves and fragment, but I’m not holding my breath. Cross my fingers, and all that!

8 Likes

So Cameron Joseph was walking through the halls of the Capitol when a breathless Jim Jordan came running up to Cameron…“Wait!” “Wait!” “I’m a Freedom Caucus leader and I have a quote on the DACA discharge petition. We think it sucks,” sneered Jordan, as he ran further down the hall to where someone was setting up a TV camera. Cameron cleaned up Jordan’s adolescent remarks and posted the story. Jim Jordan. A REAL AMERICAN.

2 Likes

Seriously, Paul Ryan better intervene. It sounds like an epidemic of responsible governance is breaking out among some Republicans.

8 Likes

We’ve set a deadline,” he told TPM. “We’re not pulling back. We have the signatures, we have the people ready to go down and sign, and we’ve been working with leadership to give them enough time to put a bill together and to bring this in front of our conference.”

Denham told TPM on Thursday that he thought there was a good chance that his wing of the party and enough hardline conservatives in the House Freedom Caucus could come to an agreement on legislation now that the moderates had forced the issue, but that the devil remained in the details.

bookmarking

7 Likes

This is the only chance most moderate Republicans have to save their seats. If the Republicans are interested in maintaining the majority they will tell the Freedumb caucus to stifle and vote for a DACA deal.

2 Likes

Wake me when they actually do something.

3 Likes

“Denham said the deal itself and actual legislative text needed to be finalized by Tuesday and a guaranteed time for a floor vote, or else they would join with Democrats to force a floor vote…”

Speaker Merkin Muffley: "Gentlemen, you can’t vote in here. This is the Congress!"

12 Likes

Only reason why Denham got over on Tuesday was on account of an extremely split vote, but anyhow, where did I put my popcorn?

@irasdad

7 Likes

Unless the Senate and the White House coöperate, it’s all electioneering at the expense of the Dreamers.

7 Likes

I am not sure the current occupant will understand that his Presidency is going to effectively end in November 2018 if he doesn’t do a DACA deal, and maybe even if he does, but I am sure McConnell is smart enough to know his life is almost impossible starting January 2019 if he doesn’t help save the moderate Republicans in the house.

The problem is the tea party puritans in the house don’t understand they are sailing into the headwinds of history.

6 Likes