Discussion: WATCH: Two Twisters Touch Down At The Same Time In Northeast Nebraska

Discussion for article #224001

That’s just freaky…

Every time I see footage of a tornado or satellite imagery of a category 5 hurricane, I find myself thinking that this planet was only barely habitable before we decided to run an uncontrolled experiment on changing the thermal insulative properties of the atmosphere.

2 Likes

Another reason to wonder how anyone could live there.

Is this because of global warming or climate change?

What an odd thing to say.

Whenever I see a story about a double tornado I’m reminded of that movie “Twister”. My kid loved that movie. He was 9 yrs old at the time and loved the build-up of going from one tornado type to the next as the movie progressed. The movie was a bit campy but showed the (probably somewhat inaccurate) level of tornado classification from F1 to F5.

Ah, those were the days…when backyard science was all the rage.

That was a monumentally bad movie. Though in hindsight, compared to the modern crop of brain dead disaster movies, it wasn’t so terrible.

1 Like

Well, pretending for a moment you aren’t a poo-flinging emotional ten year old, “global warming” and “climate change” aren’t an either/or choice. Global warming causes climate change. Climate isn’t weather. Weather isn’t climate. Climate is the baseline trend, weather is the data points will vary from the baseline by random amounts but which, in the aggregate follow the trendline.

No particular meteorological event can be blamed on the trend line because weather is influenced by random, chaotic, events. However, given that cyclonic storms are fueled by solar energy absorbed by the atmosphere, land land and ocean mass of the planet and that increasing atmospheric CO2 reduces the amount of that thermal energy that gets radiated back into space as infrared by reflecting it back, resulting in a net increase in the amount of thermal energy stored by the planet’s mass, more energy availible to fuel cylonic storms means that, over the long haul, there will be more cyclonic storms of greater strength.

Any other questions?

4 Likes

Yep, it was kinda bad…but it left me with this: “I gotta go now, we’ve got cows”.

I’ve watched many videos of tornadoes, but this one is probably one of the best. The sheer force is pretty frightening.

However, to shoot a video that close-up seems almost reckless given how unpredictable tornadoes are as they are known to turn on a dime at the drop of a hat.

Couldn’t happen to a nicer state.