Discussion: Watch Rep. Katie Porter Teach Ben Carson His Own Job

The next Marvel Superheroes…

Two Scoops and his trusty sidekick Oreo…

6 Likes

hell of a government we’ve ended up with, where the biggest idiots make policy and the smartest people can only ask questions (which are ignored then forgotten).

wouldn’t it be something if the corporate media made a big deal of this? who am I kidding, the corporate media is very happy with our current situation.

20 Likes

Wouldn’t she be fabulous on SCOTUS?

Although she’s probably better here right now, asking all the uncomfortable questions.

18 Likes

The guy really has no energy.

1 Like

As awful as it was to read about this exchange, it was INFINITELY worse to watch it. And Carson’s ignorance of and apathy toward the subject is infuriating. Every day, a new low…

18 Likes

Sounds like a state university board of regents.

16 Likes

On my first read, I wondered if Dr Ben was trying to make this about race…somehow?

Either that or he really does think she was asking him about cookies.

The stupid, it burns.

6 Likes

And this is why it is imperative that some folks NOT try to run for higher office - they may be better suited precisely where they are to hold feet to fire and speak truth to power, not from ignorance and stupidity, but from having actually done the job the witness is already supposed to be well-versed in.

Well done, Katie. Keep pushing!!!

ETA: Countdown to when Faux Noise accuses her of being impolite, unprofessional and hormonal for harassing a member of the Cabinet.

Also ETA: You have to wonder what kind of stupidity we’ve been subjected to when NO ONE asked these kinds of questions at his confirmation hearing. Nothing else was asked of any of the cabinet members that would have demonstrated they knew a gd-damned thing about the agency or area of the government they were supposed to assume responsibility for.

Why? Because their whole mission is to make it so dysfunctional as to be irrelevant so it could be closed down.

33 Likes

Good thing she didn’t ask him what HUD stood for. That would have REALLY been embarrassing.

26 Likes

“This isn’t the first time Porter used her expertise to leave witnesses at her committee’s hearings tongue-tied.”

Readers might infer from the above statement that Porter somehow is the cause of witnesses’ inability to respond intelligibly to her questions. The cause is their own lack of knowledge: that’s the lede and that’s what’s wrong with the entire Trump administration. Well, that and his appointees’ penchant for public corruption.

23 Likes

And to think this guy was a neurosurgeon, words fair.
Too bad Donnie didn’t look for this level of competency for his pilots.

7 Likes

With a high-capacity magazine.

2 Likes

The Jamie Dimon take down was also hard to watch, but because he squirmed so it became delightful.

“You can get those jobs out of high school, and she may have my job one day,” Dimon replied

“She may, but Mr. Dimon, she doesn’t have the ability right now to spend your $31 million,” Porter said, referring to Dimon’s 2018 pay package.

“I’m wholly sympathetic,” Dimon replied.

“She’s short $567, what would you suggest she do?” Porter pressed.

“I don’t know, I’d have to think about that,” he said.

“Would you recommend that she take out a JP Morgan Case credit card and run a deficit?” Porter asked.

Dimon repeated, “I don’t know, I’d have to think about it.”

“Would you recommend that she overdraft at your bank and be charged overdraft fees?” Porter asked.

“I don’t know I’d have to think about it,” Dimon said a third time, adding, “I’d love to call up and have a conversation about her financial affairs and see if we could be helpful.”

30 Likes

She is a force of nature. I wish her a long and productive life.

Can’t wait till she gets to question Stevie Mnuchin tomorrow.

28 Likes

I’m feeling sorry for Ben.

21 Likes

Carson: “Well, in that case, I’d like to defer her to my esteemed colleague, Jeff Sessions, who is an expert on that particular subject.”

16 Likes

Perhaps he thought she was calling him an Oreo.

1 Like

Hope his “lifeline” isn’t Rick Perry.

Oops.

8 Likes

Had Carson played it right, he could’ve answered like this.

2 Likes

HOld on a second, do you mean to say there was another woman elected to the House other than AOC? Another woman who seems to be really actually competent? This must be a mistake. Or is AOC tweets so much that she sucks all the air out of the room. I am impressed by this woman and have been since she took office. Go Katie!

6 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available