Discussion: WATCH LIVE: Trump, Pence Speak At Carrier Plant In Indianapolis At 2PM ET

I don’t think I can stand to watch. I’m holding out for a real press conference, if that ever happens…

3 Likes

And the “deal” was apparently negotiated with Indiana state officials who are giving away $7 million in tax relief for Carrier. This is a bogus deal timed for propaganda…

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/carrier-gets-tax-breaks-but-it-s-still-sending-jobs/article_d2f958e5-1eaf-5401-93b1-c6b0990acab2.html

3 Likes

Bread and circuses. Well, forget about the bread, it’s mostly circuses.

5 Likes

And now everyone who want’s a handout will say they are moving their plants to Mexico, and want Trump to pay them to stay. What happened to the GOP love of the freemarket?

3 Likes

It was just announced (by CNBC) that Carrier is however, moving another of its Indiana plants with 700 employees to Mexico. A news conference would give the media an opportunity to ask about this - but, of course, that is why Trump won’t hold one. An employee from the plant that’s moving was just interviewed and said “Why isn’t Trump working out a deal for us?”

8 Likes

Exactly! A few Republicans are starting to speak up and say this cannot be normalized but is a one off. Exactly why is the federal government, known as the POETUS, involved in a state deal? No reason…just free press.

5 Likes

Interesting to watch WTHR, channel 13, Indianapolis prep report prior to Trump Pence announcement. Woe the 260 federal regulations impacted Carrier’s decision, woe was it his business connections that saved the jobs, woe not all the jobs can be saved, woe wonder how the employees who didn’t vote for Trump feel about Trump now that he has saved their job, woe wonder if Trump’s inaugural address will be scripted? Who’s got the popcorn?

I can’t watch it either. Just can’t stand looking at his bloated gloating face and Pence’s arrogant smugness. This is just another huge con for the sake of optics to feed his snake pit of supporters and to get the press talking about how he delivered.

Vomit inducing…

3 Likes

Howard Dean on MSMBC just questioned how a governor could grant a tax break without congressional approval

4 Likes

Pence was his usual, smug self. Trump is on a low-key rant - sniffing loudly, recounting imaginary conversations from a year ago (“I thought I said that, but maybe I didn’t say that, I love that show, would you return my call?”. . . . ) OMG, it’s a nonsensical, stream-of-conscious monologue. How could this man be our President???

3 Likes

Yeah and Carrier’s competitors will be asking the same thing before you know it.

1 Like

“If only the EPA would let use bury chemical waste in the field behind the factory like we did in the good old days…”

3 Likes

Ummmmm

I know, but fighting that war again would hurt 40% of the population’s feelings.

The complaint on the right when Obama bailed out the auto industry after the Bush crash was that it’s not the president’s job to “pick winners”. The market is supposed to do that.

7 Likes

It’s all theatre - don’t ever forget that “performance art” is key to HO’s big cons.

This all reminds me of HGTV’s show “House Hunters” and how it was revealed that the entire show was a scam, that the “hunters” had already found their new house and had, in many cases, actually made the new house purchase. The whole “gee, which one will they choose?” was just for reality TV drama. I suspect that HO’s own reality show was similar although I never watched.

2 Likes

Kate Snow at MSNBC just called Trump’s remarks “meandering.” That’s a very kind description.

4 Likes

I read the same thing about that HGTV show. This deal with carrier is exactly that - a scam that plays well to a segment of the population.

1 Like

He’s the president.

Plus consider who his audience is.

This is going to be an awesome 4 years.

2 Likes

He keeps forgetting that Phillip Bump n Chris Clizza are really into annotations.

1 Like