Discussion: WATCH: Alleged CIA 'Architect' Gives First-Ever On-Camera Interview

Discussion for article #231092

“When somebody asked me if I’d be willing to help,” he says, after pausing more than once to fight back tears, “I was willing to help.”

And he only charged 81 MILLION DOLLARS!

15 Likes

When they make the movie, this guy should be played by Donald Sutherland.

5 Likes

The term banality of evil comes to mind.

16 Likes

Where does that sick motherfucker stand on the issue of anal rape? That’s what I wanna know. Is that torture Mitchell? Is that your doing Mitchell? That’s a fucking crime. So is murder.

Immunity is what he got for all his “troubles” along with $81 million split two ways. Is he still a practicing psychologist? He sure is a fucking sadist. BTW, who was his inspiration, Joseph fucking Mengele???

9 Likes

This guy has so thoroughly rationalized his acts that I doubt that he now has any idea why he did whatever he did. He apparently decided that the Geneva Conventions were just suggestions and proceeded from there.

4 Likes

Hannibal Lector with fewer hobbies?

2 Likes

I wonder what they’d find if they dig up his back yard.

“Bruce Jesson and I spent most of our Air Force career [sic] trying to get the Navy to stop waterboarding.”

Just how long has the US been waterboarding people?

1 Like

Slightly off topic.

A few years ago, I was driving along Grizzly Peak in the Berkeley hills. John Yoo was at his mailbox collecting his mail. For a split second, I entertained a fantasy of temporarily “losing” control of my car.

Honestly, when I hear that over half of the people in the country are OK with this shit, rationalizing cruelty by saying it was all legal, I feel sick to my stomach. Republicans almost to a tee, think it was alright to have done this. They might as well put it in their party platform as a founding principle, because they sure believe it as if it were handed down to them by Gawd Almighty and the Founding Fathers. And they’d do it again, if they had to…nor can they wait till they’re able to employ those methods again. That’s fucking sick shit. And it will happen again…because they don’t see anything wrong with anal rape or drowning in your own vomit to manipulate and coerce a prisoner.

I worry what this country has become. Its no better than authoritarian regimes or what fascists have done to their own people, as well as against their enemies.

So fucking sad that this is what we’ve become as a country.

11 Likes

Mitchell did not respond honestly to the evidence that his torture was ineffective or counter productive. Throughout the executive summary of the SSCI torture report, information obtained before the torture was compared to information obtained during and after the torture.

Consider a claim only slightly more absurd, dishonest and irrelevant than Mitchell’s. He could just have well have argued that, yes, people didn’t give useful answers while being waterboarded, because they could speak no more than they could breath.

He absolutely does not address the evidence and made a totally irrelevant argument assuming that viewers would not have read the executive summary. I have read it. There is no evidence that torture caused people to be more cooperative when interrogated after the torture. In fact essentially all of the valuable information obtained from Al Qaeda prisoners was obtained before they were tortured, certainly the information most often cited by defenders of the torture program was (this is documented in repetitive meticulous detail in page after page after page of the executive summary).

In particular, Rasul Ghul provided key information relevent to finding Osama Bin Laden in the first two days he was interrogated (notably without “enhanced” techniques) then nothing even noted by defenders of the torture program after he was tortured.

Mitchell set up and knocked down a straw man. Unsurprisingly he is completely dishonest and pretends to respond to the evidence which he ignores counting on listeners’ ignorance.

Also his crimes must be prosecuted. Torture of prisoners is almost unique in that the Geneva conventions (which are ratified and therefore US law) do not allow prosecutorial discretion.

8 Likes

Dead cats and dissected dogs.

1 Like

In the video it was really strange to see them smile fondly and laugh when discussing the interviewer’s TV waterboarding as if it was a school yard memory.

Thats what happens when you are on the inside: you lose your moral compass. What a freak show with his nice retirement.

Over the years there’s been much speculation on what would make people buy into Nazi war crimes. Many were thugs, but may were educated, even cultured, men.

Reinhard Heydrich, for ex, the Hangman of Prague, was a Roman Catholic and violinist. His parents were cultured people. Mengele was a physician. The British SOE assassinated that kochsucker.

Most plausible explanation I’ve seen is that they were careerists, bent on pleasing their bosses and “getting ahead” by being good at their job or carrying out their assignments in a workmanlike manner.

In this case, the careerist got fabulously rich. If he didn’t do it, the Bushies would have found some other bastard.

And let’s not forget the lawyer-shopping and those lawyers who “discovered” legal justification for torture and that the Geneva Convention was “quaint”.

And let us not for Alan M. Dershowitz who thinks torture is OK so long as it’s done with a warrant.

1 Like

Not first-hand knowledge-- but read on a thread here maybe Tuesday–
that there was a Navy case prosecuted in 1898.
Yes, 1898.

jw1

1 Like

BTW, I don’t know when VICE got their interview with this schmuck, but I’m pretty sure it wasn’t his first-ever on-camera interview if they’re claiming it as an exclusive, as I watched Mitchell being interviewed on network TV news yesterday. I think I saw it on ABC.

There were numerous cases. They called it “the water cure” and it often involved forcing the victim to drink large amounts of water, along with the simulated drowning aspect. Most died.

You know the big-talker trolls who come and argue about this? I’d like to see them forced to watch, with the deal being that if they flinch, if they look away, if they betray any discomfort at all with what they’re seeing, then they’re next. Let’s see what cold, hard, tough guys they really are.

I wish he would have been asked what necessitates torture today when we did not use it during World War II. The stakes were a lot higher back then, but it seems we must have had better psychologists seventy plus years ago.

2 Likes