Discussion: Warren Officially Endorses Keith Ellison For DNC Chair

Give 'em hell, Keith.

3 Likes

I like Keith Ellison a lot. What Howard Dean says is also very true. The Democratic Party needs a lot of work,and the DNC chair needs to be a full-time job. Hard to do if you are already a congressmen.

3 Likes

If he’s mostly setting the strategy—chair of the board, rather than executive director, you might say—it could work. Seems to be a lot to like there and a growing consensus. I’d like to know more but from what I know he seems very forward-looking. And his being a Muslim has an in-your-face defiant quality I like a lot.

3 Likes

The position is thankless. I have no doubt Rep. Ellison is a smart man. I assume that of the 20+ seats Dems have to defend in 2018, we’ll be lucky to salvage half. When we lose those seats, he’s gonna be the one to take the spear in the chest. He’d better be prepared.

EDIT TO ADD:

And his being a Muslim has an in-your-face defiant quality I like a lot.

mattinpa I like it too but I have the luxury of being a NY’er. If I were in the Rust Belt states, I might be kinda put off by it. Not saying that’s the way it should be but the way it might be.

3 Likes

I like Keith Ellison a lot but…WTF can’t we have a full time person doing this instead of a side job?

1 Like

Does Ellison know his vetting will involve fingerprinting, placement in a registry, a series of thorough interviews and waterboarding?

Hell, in a Trump administration, that could become the norm for getting your driver’s license renewed if they don’t like your picture or last name.

1 Like

So what, that’s how you get jobs in Washington, the only one who’s been able to do whatever he wants and make his own rules as he goes on is Trump. I guess no one gives a damn about his taxes anymore.

People in the Rust Belt are put off by Picasso, Beethoven and escargot w/truffle shavings in a light garlic cream sauce. Who cares WTF they’re up to? Goddamn, secession really should be easier than this.

4 Likes

I understand that well. National-level campaign pros could say better than me, from a position of knowledge, whether it would hurt more than help. But the future is going to be a struggle about who we are as a nation. And about how frightened we ought to be of the Other. And when you get down to going in the other direction, I’m not sure we’re going to be able to out-white-boy the GOP. They’re all over that one.

1 Like

2 Likes

Oh dear, Fox News will have a field day with this. A muslim congressman from a district that has produced more than its share of ISIS recruits. Why do Democrats insist on shooting themselves in the foot?

Full-time job. Making it a part-time job will yield part-time results. Dumb.

2 Likes

Damn, not sure why anyone would want this job right now, but looks like this one is pretty much baked at this point. But we are more than likely going to have a very nasty 2018 election night and Mr. Ellison will bear the brunt of that. Even if Trump is a total disaster, midterms don’t go our way very often and 2018 looks especially bad for us.

Is the chair a 4-year deal? Sorry, I’m a little ignorant of these things. Does the DNC also work on governor and state legislature election strategy and candidate recruitment?

All I know is, we need to focus on 2020 state leg and governorship so we can get the map-making tools back in our control. In a way, Trump is a blessing for our 2020 chances of reshaping the house districts to be more fair.

1 Like

If Jesus took the job they’d call him a redistributionist Middle Eastern refugee skittle. There’s literally nobody they wouldn’t demonize. Might as well pick the best prospect for the job. It won’t be easy.

4 Likes

Making it? Debbie Wasserman Smith wasn’t full time. And it was when she was there that was the problem.

Oh, let’s do our own illegal employment discrimination based on religion so that Fox doesn’t pick on us. Great idea!

2 Likes

He’s going to be on TV a lot. And yes, he’s Muslim, but very down-to-earth and I suspect he will to some degree normalize that religion for some voters. Some.

2 Likes

Honestly what struck me most about him was his emphasis on grass-roots organizing. If you want to sway people, and I think we do, face-to-face talking, especially from a person you know, is the best. At least that’s what I’m told by people who know more than me.

2 Likes

Absolutely. He’s been interviewed two or three times on a criminal justice podcast I listen too, and he’s impressed the hell out of me.

2 Likes