Discussion: Vulnerable Republicans Split With House GOP Leaders, Push DACA Discharge Petition

Yeah, here comes the vote. Let’s stand up for something now…

With on-line capabilities growing, perhaps we can have an election every month. Maybe that would jack their “consciences” a little more.

1 Like

Look we’re never going to get this thing to the floor so it’s a win-win.

1 Like

Even if they’re doing it for the wrong reasons. And I assume trump would veto. But it keeps the issue in the news.

1 Like

“I’m not abdicating my responsibilities to the White House,” said Love at the press conference.

Memo to Rep. Love: Dear Congresswoman, your responsibility is not to the White House. It is to your constituents, and to the Constitution of the United States.

Please make a note of it. This wiil be a question on the final exam.

6 Likes

Looks like a trap for the Ds. The optimum outcome for the Rs would be for Rs in left-leaning districts and Ds in hard-right districts to sign on, but for the petition to fall short. That would boost the Rs but pull the Ds down. Better for the Ds to leave this one alone unless and until enough Rs sign on to make it work.

1 Like

In Rep. Love’s defense, I think she is saying exactly what you are saying. It’s just that her sentence is ambiguous. There are two ways to parse it. You read it this way, “I’m not abdicating my (responsibilities to the White House),” while I believe she intended to say, “I’m not abdicating my responsibilities (to the White House).”

You need to clarify some things in this story. You make it seem like the discharge petition is “just ten votes shy” of triggering a vote, but a discharge petition requires 218 signatures, and this one has fifteen so far. If all the Democrats signed, and ten more Republicans did as well, you get to 218. This is a Trojan Horse to be avoided completely by Dems - one of the bills it would bring up for a vote (four different bills would be considered) is the horrible Goodlatte bill. Even the bipartisan compromise bill that would get a vote if discharged is not sufficient, and only gives vulnerable Republicans cover to make it look like they care before the elections.

1 Like

Yeah, I read that the way you did that at first but as I copied it and prepared to say exactly what you said, I realized that she was really saying that she was not going to abdicate to the White House the responsibility she has as a congresswoman. I think that’s more clear from the context than the quote itself.

2 Likes

Wow, I wonder what immigration platform they ran on last election? I just haven’t been hearing about this mysterious thing you call a “pro-immigration Republican.” Perhaps they spend too much time wiping the asses of the rainbow-shitting unicorns hoping it will rub off on them?

1 Like

Yeah keep trying, gents - you’re still going to get skinned alive come November.

2 Likes

So we’re supposed to vote for people like that… so they can empower the most vicious policymakers in America… and then desperately try to prevent those policymakers from doing what they said they were going to do… and failing to prevent it… and then we’re supposed to thank them for trying… and vote for them again. Right, got it.

5 Likes

It would be nice if they were doing it because it’s the right thing to do instead of trying to save their ass.

2 Likes

It just floors me that there is so much hate in the GOP base, that the idea of protecting dreamers, supported by more that 75% of the public, can only get 15 GOP votes in the house.

2 Likes

Good luck on that. Curbelo, for example, voted to kill Obamaware. During the preceding hours he had his phones cut off so he wouldn’t have to take calls on it. Is this the best he can do to make voters forget that?

Sorry, but unicorns shit the most delicious soft-serve ice cream.

1 Like

@brian512 @someguy
Just to clarify what Love is saying, here’s her voting record. She votes. 95.8% of the time trumpp’s positions.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/mia-b-love/

3 Likes

I agree that in practice, she’s clearly just blowing hot air, but I thought it relevant to represent her statement in the manner she intended it, even if it’s utter tripe. Though, who knows, maybe it was a Freudian slip on her part and @brian512 is more right than not.

1 Like

I understand the critters must be loyal to their party esp.on issues like these if they want to remain as critters. I guess I just remain puzzled as to how a young black woman sleeps at night knowing her president disrespects women and blacks as much as he does. If she has an agenda which includes the two groups, it will never go anywhere.

Um, just vanilla for me, please. And a side of brain bleach. Thanks.