Discussion: Voters Overwhelmingly Blame Trump & GOP For Shutdown In New Poll

I think the lower number is about right for for the true believers. Of the three trump supporters I know (this is way-blue MA, after all) two are of the “smirk” variety - aging counter-culture types who just think it’s funny that “establishment” types are upset. The other is perhaps more typical, and in a way, traditional - total disinterested in politics, doesn’t follow the news beyond cursory headlines, but supports “the President,” whoever that may be. Both these types are peel-off-able; I think we’re now seeing the beginning of that as those headlines get crazier every day.

1 Like

I vote we exfiltrate Putin somehow and put him in a cell with Donald’s entire family. That should send a chill down the spine of other evil dictators and act as a meaningful deterrent to future intervention in U.S. politics.

squirrel-T wins today!

1 Like

I think of the Manchurian candidate all the time. But here’s the difference - the GOP candidates and the back room boys were unaware that Islin was a stooge under the thumb of a Russian operative.
Mitch, Pence, and all their cronies have known it since 1/2/17 - that’s really the shock.

3 Likes

(1) I very much appreciate your pointing out the FL votes. Agree, that its likely to be another 800K votes, but if I add them in I get a D % of 53.7 to 44.8, which is a 8.9% margin. Perhaps my math is off. But this matters…

(2) I think you are right about the margin being about 20% now, once you take out the garbage polling and the internet only stuff, I think the actual margin right now is about 38% to 57%, with the slippage being from the “soft support” rather than from the core crazies who bailed (or told pollsters they did not approve) when he looked waffly.

The interesting thing for Trump is that he has become captive of his base, as the part of the electorate who is potentially persuadable to Trump has gotten smaller. He obviously got 46% of the vote in 2016, I think there is no way against any but the most far left candidate (someone like Warren or Sanders) that he is going to break 44%. The only way he gets elected is if a moderate third party candidate runs and splits the vote. Against a conventional moderate/liberal democrat (i.e without the pep of Beto, or Trump really screwing the pooch or Mueller destroying him) I doubt that Trump can pull over 40-41% of the vote at this point.

And remember - any time you’re speaking about GOP Congresscritters, you wonder if they are being controlled by the Russians, too.

1 Like

eldon, I’ve been quoting her for years now, she really tells a familiar story.

1 Like

Kentucky, and whatever he’s got on Republicans in the Senate.

I wonder who would be qualified or even want his job? It’d be interesting to see who succeeds him in the senate when that time comes.

How about Chuck Schumer in 2021 ?

We are on the verge of an air travel collapse in the US - due to walkouts at both TSA and FAA (ATC). How long do these dotards think they can hold out when that happens ?

The basic problem with the GOP is that they hate Democracy and they can’t govern. All they are good at is rigging marginal elections. When the margins get big, they start to look like Whigs. That day cannot come soon enough for me. They fooled us baby-boomers, but those millennial are too smart to eat their bullshit. As Bob Dylan once sung, "the times, they are a changin’ "

If it were otherwise we would be doomed as a nation. The fact that it is 63 to 32 percent means we are staring into the precipice.

Happening as we speak.

Support for funding border security does not automatically translate into support for Trump’s wall.

That is what we need to convince the press it means. Right now some of them want to conflate the two. I am for border security. I am opposed to wasting money that could otherwise be spent on improving border security on Trumps vanity wall.

1 Like

has been interesting watching fivethirtyeight

Republicans. Are you powerless to stop it?

Reach out to Democrats. They will get worker’s paychecks flowing again without compromising national security in the least.

C’mon.

Sorry if I was preaching to the choir, but I remember when the bastards got rid of the FD. I thought it was horrible at the time, and nothing has changed my mind over the last 30+ years.

1 Like

Three ways the shutdown could end: (1) Pelosi & Schumer capitulate completely; (2) Mitch McConnell stands up to Trump; and (3) Trump rescinds his requirement that the budget include $5.7bn for his self-monument-excrescence.

(1) would be profoundly and obviously wrong (Republicans have a very hard time acknowledging this; they are all mentally unwell). Fortunately there is no sign it might happen.
(2) and (3) would be reasonable. However, they are not going to happen for interlocking reasons. McConnell wants to play nice with Trump and get more ultra-conservative judges to further “burnish” his evil legacy – plus it is somehow against his constitution to buck Trump; and both Trump & McConnell want to destroy the government: downsize it, with absolutely no concern let alone compunction for inflicting mass suffering and putting lives and security at risk. Oh, and chaos! Trump loves chaos. So why stop now? This is great for him (in his sick head).

Not clear how or when this ends. Impeachment, aggressively pursued as soon as is possible, would help.

Love me some Randy Rainbow :rainbow:

Apparently NO, or his favorite 30% still believe he walks on water, he told them so…

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available