Discussion: Viral Conservative YouTube Star Renounces Conservatism

Discussion for article #243264

Yep. We’ve seen this story before.
Republicans, voice of angry tweens.

20 Likes

Any chance he could knock some sense into Ben Carson? Not likely.

4 Likes

Well after reading his latest comments I can see why he had to leave the Republicans … he pays attention and thinks for himself … and realized that he didn’t want to end up another Kim Davis … used by the Republicans for their own evil ends. Welcome back to reality kiddo!

5 Likes
 The video of 17-year-old Lacquan McDonald being shot 16 times by a Chicago police officer changed Pearson's mind.

Wish that it had not taken something so horrible — But still…a breath of fresh air —

10 Likes

You can either grow up or be a Republican, but not both.

41 Likes

That awkward moment when a 13yo becomes wiser than all the adults in your party. #fuckyouGOP.

38 Likes

Whew, a kid young enough to change and to come up with a thinking man’s choice! If only he can be a guiding light to the rest of them.

7 Likes

The sad part will be the contemptible slander spewed at this kid and his family by so-called grown-ass conservatives.

11 Likes

Hmmm So, he finally discovered he’s black and that it’s not “them” Republicans have been railing against, it’s you too. While I trust that the murder of Lacquan McDonald had an impact, I’m guessing it was more the reaction of conservatives that had a greater impact.

20 Likes

I read this article on another site the other day. I’m not altogether convinced this kid has renounced anything. He’s just become more aware that he has possibly been backing the wrong horse…but whatever, anything that moves this kid in a more positive direction, I’m all for.

Now that he’s getting older, he may be starting to see he too will soon be the the target of “the man”…and “the man” is none other than the authoritarian state Republicans would like to create, and love to tout, to keep all manner of people in line. Nothing like an oppressive police state to focus the mind on what’s really important…

In the meantime…grow a little, learn a little, then grow some more and learn some more, young man. You have the rest of your life ahead of you.

22 Likes

@littlegirlblue called it on March 4. You didn’t get the date right – he bailed in less than a year, but you certainly called it.

18 Likes

Apparently being connected to sleazeball Ted Cruz does not do wonders for a teenager’s social life.

7 Likes
He previously was the chairman for Teens for Ted.

My guess is that he didn’t find that position to be quite the chick magnet that he’d hoped it would be.

6 Likes

“I don’t want to be the conservative wonder kid that people follow
because I make them feel good and like young people are part of their
movement. I want to be followed because I’m the voice of a generation
that doesn’t have a voice at the table,”

…hey kid, here’s an idea. How about taking some time off (i.e., years) trying to be “followed” or be the “voice” of anyone, until you’ve reached a more mature, less impressionable age. Narcissism is ugly regardless of its ideological orientation, and actively seeking viral attention from cynical adults is likely to be deeply harmful to you in ways you do not yet understand.

21 Likes

I admire this kid for being true to his beliefs. I hope he has thick enough skin at such a young age to withstand the vitriol about to come his way.

5 Likes

He’s a kid. Dumb like most kids. Lets leave it at that.

10 Likes

Could be that being in his bedroom with the computer running uploads to YouTube made him one very lonely individual at his age. So yeah, social life was probably becoming a big downer for him. We’ll see…

At his age you couldn’t keep me indoors for any length of time.

6 Likes

That the kid had the revelation is what’s important.
Here at TPM we have had the discussion several times-- and knew it would occur eventually.
Hopefully he can use his ability to communicate in a positive fashion going forward.

I’m willing to laugh with him now.

jw1

5 Likes

I couldn’t have cared less what a simplistic 13-year-old thought when he was conservative, so why start caring now?
He’ll probably go vegan, take up with Lyndon Larouche and renounce Facebook next because he’s, you know, a teenager.

10 Likes