Discussion: VA Secretary Apologizes For Falsely Claiming He Served In Special Forces

Discussion for article #233600

Sorry media, this comes off as simply mean-spirited on your part…A misstatement in a spontaneous conversation caught on-camera is completely different from a career of resume inflation supported if not inflamed by a corporate publicity department. Any asshole can see that…oh, wait, now I understand your confusion.

4 Likes

At the very least the man could have entertainingly claimed that he served with Nick Fury’s howling commandos and was a personal friend of Captain America. It’s amusing, to me at least, how the principally male fetish with all things military, especially in America, manifests itself in this kind of dissembling. The need to prove ones-self as a warrior; counting coup; the need to belong; the band of brothers, who don’t want to hold their manhoods cheap. So, if their experience doesn’t measure up, men lie about it. Very male, very human.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,

Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say ‘To-morrow is Saint Crispian.’
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say ‘These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.’
    Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day. …
This day shall gentle his condition;
    And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.

2 Likes

Alternative non-lying, non-self-aggrandizing response to homeless Special Forces veteran: “You are a skilled soldier and we are blessed as a nation because you chose to sacrifice your time and talent for us. Thank you for your service. How can I help you?”

6 Likes

Mis-statement? No, he flat out lied about it. I have no idea why. What is it that compels people to lie about military service? I have never served in the military, and never even been “in combat” Bill O’Reilly style. I don’t feel compelled to make stuff up about it.

Man up, people

2 Likes

On BEHALF of ALL conservATIVEs in AMerica WHO neVER SerVED, I aM OUTraged BY TheSE Lies ABOUT MILITary SerVICE. SUPPort the TROOPS. underFUND THE VA aND TEACH thIS LYING libtard a LESSON!11!11!!one!11!1!11!

4 Likes

There is no doubt he served in the 82nd Airborne. Airborne guys often think of themselves as special with good reason. He was talking to a homeless veteran. No doubt he was trying to relate to the guy. I am inclined to give the Secretary a break. He is new and he is trying really hard to deal with the problems of an agency that is being stressed by rapid growth. Coming from the private sector he is has unique skills the Department of Veterans Affairs needs right now. When asked he fessed up immediately.

I suggest we give the Secretary a mulligan.

4 Likes

My aren’t we judgmental.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, this guy graduated Ranger school. So this “lie” is hardly egregious. Sounds to me he was just trying to create rapport and relate to this person.

4 Likes

Seems to be a new thing with the broken media, a weekly stoning regardless of the mitigating facts. Perhaps, small, black cages would suit the mood of the times better?

1 Like

My guess is members of the 82nd Airborne consider themselves to be the special forces.

3 Likes

All American…

Very male, very INhuman.

Glory days well they’ll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl’s eye
Glory days, glory days

Now I think I’m going down to the well tonight
and I’m going to drink till I get my fill
And I hope when I get old I don’t sit around thinking about it
but I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back trying to recapture
a little of the glory of, well time slips away