Discussion for article #226795
The shaking woke me up, so I went to the local CBS website. The comments from right wingers wishing mass death on Northern Californians, on all of California, were scarier than the earthquake.
I’m in San Francisco about 45 miles away from Napa, and I felt the bed rock sometime around 3:30. It woke me and I knew right away what it was, was glad it wasn’t stronger. I still recall Loma Prieta in 1989, that was scary.
6.0 isn’t “MASSIVE”, TPMTMZ…6.0 is a nice-sized standard California earthquake.
7.0 is “MASSIVE”.
Sensationalist goons…
I was living in Los Altos when the 1989 quake hit. Not as much damage there as Oakland and The Marina district but what I remember most was the impact it had on peoples psyches. It kind of opened a hole in people souls, people who normally would never acknowledge one another were suddenly very chatty.
We’re just now seeing a few pictures here in Portland. We’ll hope that the damage was limited to repairable structures and that no lives were lost. Not too many high rises, land filled marshes or bridges in Napa.
Was at Candlestick Park in 1989, just a teenager.
Never been through anything like that since.
Woke me up. I live about 50 miles form Napa–and it shook pretty good. I knew it was a bigger one–did’n’t know how big at the time–because of the amount of shaking I felt. 6.0 is pretty good, but I wouldn’t say massive. The one in 1989 was massive. I live about 60 miles from that epicenter–but the shaking then was more intense and went on longer. Earthquakes are a part of CA living. Damage occurs–mostly near the epicenter. It’s life.
Opening game of the series. I was going to watch it with a neighbor. The quake hit while I was in the shower, next thing I knew i was running over to Jerry’s house…stark nekked with a beer in each hand.
Reports are that many small children and animals have yet to come out from hiding.
6.0, good sized shaker but not massive although damage is damage. The Richter goes up by a force factor of ten per digit, hence Loma Prieto was much more severe.
Of note, the drought across much of the western US, ya’ know, the one Evangelicals dodge as realty based, even as bark beetles and flora march ever northward, can be an element in (some?) earthquakes.
The reduced saturation of water tables (wet sponge, dry sponge) the deadweight of bodies of water, stuff like that and oh, fracking (Hello Oklahoma) are also considerations beyond the good old San Andreas.
This may well add fuel to the anti-fracking push in some parts of the Golden State.
Anything to get people to watch their shows. Sensationalism is what news does nowadays.
I look forward to reading about how this earthquake was caused by Obama’s weak leadership.
Here in SF it was pretty rattling but i only have one picture askew, glad no one in Napa was killed.
Now off to BevMo to hoard some pino noir.
CBS news headline a minute ago.
“Woman felt shaking” no clarity if this was due to the quake or early morning sex.
Now showing cracks in road, fields, buildings etc. Who could have known?
As for the cracks in the field I’ve seen deeper and more numerous cracks than that in Tilden Parks fairways during water shortage years.
You’ll find a brand new blend of Pinot at ground level.
hmmm…
Good nose, a little dusty in palate, the glass shards add a piquant texture reminiscent of an 89’ zinfandel.
It shook me out of bed at 3:33; rattled free standing items and moved the 5 story building back and forth. I felt helpless. This is my second experience and may make me go back to the midwest or south.
Some of the clowns posting on right wing blogs sites are already claiming it to be an “act of God” against liberal heathens.
Woke me up as well. Good 20+ seconds of shaking and rolling.
But I’ve lived in CA my whole life, and you learn to know when it’s a serious earthquake in your locale.
I’ll take an occasional tremor over the devastation of a Midwest tornado any day.
Hope the 3 critically injured folks pull through OK.
FIFY
You make a good point
Well yes, but you don’t get to consider those points while the “whole lot of shaking” is going on. lol