Discussion: US Set To Release Ex-Israeli Spy Jonathan Pollard After 30 Years

Discussion for article #243037

Ah, blessed Israel. The only country on the planet that has attacked the U.S. without retaliation and, better yet, we continue to support with our tax dollars.

He should have stayed in jail until he stopped breathing.

5 Likes

A sop for ruffled feathers over the Iran deal.

3 Likes

ממזר. בוגד.

Otherwise, I’m fairly indifferent to this person.

Dude, Obama sunk the USS Liberty, not Israelis.

1 Like

Bullshit.

Suppose he doesn’t abide by the release terms and makes it to Israel. When the State Dept demands his extradition back to the U.S. will Israel give out a big “Fuck you!” in reply and deny the order because Israeli law bars the extradition of Israeli citizens for trial abroad?

In 1999, 17-year old Samuel Sheinbein murdered Alfredo Enrique Tello, Jr., then dismembered and burned his corpse in Aspen Hill, Maryland. About to get caught Sammy managed, along with his father (to me: now an accomplice), to escape justice by going to Israel where Sammy claimed Israeli citizenship by - Wait for it…wait…wait…virtue of his father being born in what was then British-occupied Palestine.

I don’t trust Israel at all.

Two New York congressmen, Reps. Eliot Engel and Jerrold Nadler, have also written U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch, saying that Pollard should be allowed to renounce his American citizenship and emigrate to Israel.

I truly don’t understand this attitude. We are America, not Israel, and treason is treason is treason. He should still be in jail as far as I’m concerned.

Any bets on how long it takes for him to abscond to Israel, knowing Netanyahu will never extradite him back to the US to face charges?

Which is what I really don’t get. How is Obama even getting anything out of freeing Pollard? I know for absolute sure that he had to have pissed off a significant contingent in the military who are fully aware of how much damage Pollard did to compromise US signal intelligence to Israeli surveillance from the sensitive materials he gave them.

What specifically has his attempts at rapprochement gotten him? Bibi still appears to treat him like dirt, fully disrespecting his visit recently with his government announcing more settlement construction just beforehand. Pollard represented a giant olive branch that appears to have just been taken for granted along with extension of the 10 year pact made recently. On top of that Obama pledged to try to increase annual aid to Israel from 3 to 4.5 billion.

It really is mind boggling.

Agree with all that, and I dunno. Maybe thinking of the Jewish vote in 350 days or so? Wouldn’t look good too close to the election. Or just generally tidying things up a bit for Hills. I doubt the prez cares a whole lot himself (the no more fucks to give thing). Sort of interesting that five years would keep the guy in the U.S. throughout a first HRC administration, past election day 2020, anyway. Probably just chance, that part.

I’m glad they kept this guy locked up for the whole 30 years. At the time of his arrest he and his then wife were both very self-righteous in defending their actions. I still recall an interview given by his wife. She has long since divorced him. And he wasted his entire life. Apparently he’s seen as a hero in Israel. I wonder how they’d feel about an Israeli who gave us their secrets…

Then good riddance! Feh!

Obama is not freeing him, where did you get that from?

He is being released at the time he was scheduled to be released WELL before Obama took office.

Obama can reduce sentences or pardon people. But I never heard of a President adding time to a sentence because they felt like doing it.

Obama is not running again, nor is Obama instructing that he be released. These are both fictions.

Pollard did his time for his crime. I’m no fan of his, but when you do your time, you get released. Not much more complex than that. I am far more outraged at violent criminals being released because we have weed smokers in jail. Those violent criminals pose FAR more of a threat than Pollard does at this point.

1 Like

Obama could have opposed it, not doing so was a choice. Not saying he should have, personally I don’t care and I don’t think the president does either. One less reason to have to spend time with Bibi.

Why should he oppose it? The guy did his 30 year sentence.

During his sentence, including while Obama has been President, Israel has tried to get Pollard released, and it was denied, as it should have been. In fact, Obama denied the request for Pollard to visit his ailing father in 2011, and to attend his father’s funeral when he died after that. Obama denied both requests.

Barney Frank and Anthony Weiner called for Pollard to be released in 2010. A Plea of Clemency was submitted by members of Congress in November of that year. Barnard Nussbaum, George Shultz, James Woolsey, Dennis CeConcini, Arlen Spector, Christine Quinn, John Loftus, Angelo Codevilla, Newt Gingrich, Dan Quayle and Henry Kissinger all pleaded with Obama to have Pollard released early. Obama denied ALL those requests, and I totally agreed with that.

I think Obama has done the right thing in all instances on Pollard. The guy served his sentence, and should now be released.

1 Like

Don’t bother to those people everything is Obama’s fault.

1 Like

True, but also a lot of it is their hatred of Israel, etc. Had Pollard been spying for another country, these same people would be saying he did his time and should be released, and actually would not even be paying attention to the story. I’m no big fan of Bibi and his hard right policies by any means, but I’m also not into the “Israel sucks” thing. Most Israel’s themselves are not Bibi fans.

The reality is that Pollard probably did get a longer sentence than he should have. But letting him go early opens the door for others who spy. Sometimes you just have to put your foot down and set an example so people know their are serious consequences for spying against us. Obama did the right thing in all instances in this case.