Discussion: University of California Divests $25 Million From Private Prison Companies

Discussion for article #244153

California has already divested its coal industry holdings.

6 Likes

thank you, afrikan black coalition!

6 Likes

Divestiture helped being down apartheid in South Africa, it help take down private prisons. People still have the power, they just have to not be afraid to use it.

10 Likes

Call me what you will, but I think it’s a bad idea to allow profit in the incarceration business. The first priority of imprisonment should be rehabilitation and there’s no way a company accountable to shareholders will properly invest in that. The incentives for for-profit corrections companies are totally skewed. It’s s bad deal for the inmates as well as society at large.

7 Likes

Shill: “[Citicisms] rely on politically motivated sources to advance the inaccurate notion that private prisons are somehow unaccountable.”

The Arizona Department of Corrections found it cheaper in 2008, 2009 and 2010 to house inmates at public prisons vs. private ones.

How did the GOP legislature respond? In 2012, they repealed the law requiring DOC to compare costs.

I’d say that qualifies as “politically motivated”.

15 Likes

Obscene profits from incarceration of those least likely to have the means to obtain qualified defense counsel. What could possibly go wrong?

12 Likes

When Brewer was in office and “papers please” became a policy, I believe it was private prison lobbyists who lobbied to make that a policy because more bodies being busted meant more revenue for them.

7 Likes

It is well past due. Thank goodness

5 Likes

Good. Hope we have a trend here. Privatization of government functions is almost always a bad idea – it increases costs and reduces service – but for-profit prisons are a horrible idea for many reasons. Prisoners are reduced to Revenue Units, to be kept as long as possible. Small cities that have lost industries have been seduced into building, at public expense, facilities for for-profit prison companies GEO and Corrections Corporation of America, on the promise of jobs (which turn out to be low wage), only to have the companies walk when facilities weren’t sufficiently profitable. Their contracts are atrocious, of course they are guaranteed a profit, and the contracts often require a guarantee of 90% occupancy, which works against criminal justice reform. I swear, if they could they’d eliminate probation, parole and increase jail time for petty offenses.
On top of it all, there aren’t many things more morally odious than making a profit on jailing human beings. I think even conservative Christians can be bright around to opposing GEO and CCA on the grounds that they would make Christ puke. If there is a hell, everyone involved in for-profit prisons has an advance reservation.

6 Likes

Yes, and their lobbyists are slithering all over congress, lining the pockets of those morons for legislation mandating longer terms. It’s the same in the state houses. Who could have missed seeing this result of creating a private prison industry? As for the elected politicians all over who allowed it, will they be held to account?

1 Like

Who believed this was a good idea to begin with?

2 Likes

I wonder what portion of the ‘investment’ this represents? U of C is a big thing.

Obviously, they have either put some thought into what it is that they help finance or, someone with juice direct relative got stuck in the system.

I wonder if they’re getting out of the dirty energy investment game as well?

Not only that, allowing for profit prison companies to longer for tougher laws and longer prison sentences is insane. Let’s pay companies to lobby to lock our citizens up longer to make a bigger profit. Ugh.

The GOP loves this shit.

Any day now I’m going to lose my faith in elected and appointed political officials, and just stick with benevolent fictional characters