Discussion: Undocumented Journalist Jose Antonio Vargas Detained In Texas

Discussion for article #225062

Deport him. He is a defiant, clear lawbreaker. What if he was a bank robber or a tax cheat, announcing publicly that he was breaking the law? We would arrest that person. This guy should be arrested and deported, immediately.

1 Like

Did the guy call enough attention to himself? He’s been writing op-ed’s, tweeing, emailing, instagraming, you name it. If I wanted to “slip by” border control, the last thing I would do is announce it.

2 Likes

I guess he wanted to take a stand. I guess he will be standing, but somewhere in Michoacan. Oops.

2 Likes

It’s tough not to see this as political payback.

1 Like

Robbing banks, not being issued a piece of paper by the government…pretty much the same thing.

6 Likes

Flagrantly, publicly, deliberately, provacatively announcing how you are breaking the law breeds contempt for the law. Time to crack down on such offenders. Deport.

Stupid laws breed contempt for the law. Stupid laws that you can’t possibly enforce, and which get enforced in an arbitrary, obviously-political manner, breed contempt for the law.

If people are flagrantly, publicly, deliberately, provocatively announcing their law-breaking, you’ve already lost the battle for legitimacy and credibility.

Deporting this journalist is only going to make the legitimacy problem worse.

6 Likes

Not being a supporter of open borders myself, I don’t agree. We can and do enforce these laws. Obama has created huge problems for ICE and for himself by creating false hope with selective amnesty. This is over the next few months going to rebound big time and bite him and his supporters in the butt. Main reason: it is going to cost multiple millions of dollars to educate these children coming here. This guy is symptomatic of a totally screwed up immigration system. We need to restore the rule of law.

What did he think was going to happen?

2 Likes

I wonder if, by announcing his intentions, he has spoiled his possibility to become a Legal Test Case. That would be too bad, as it seems like he’s lived the last three years as a guided missile screaming toward an intersection of jurisprudence and pleading for a writ of cert.

NickDanger, Mr. Vargas is a smart, articulate man who has contributed much to this -his- country.
So why don’t you do us all a favor and take his place on the plane to Manila instead?

4 Likes

Agreed. Flagrantly, publicly, deliberately, provacatively [sic] announcing how you are breaking the law breeds contempt for the law. Time to crack down on such offenders. Drone strike the the sovereign citizen traitors wherever the rats breed.

4 Likes

Don’t complain – look at all the money we wasted trying to educate you.

6 Likes

What country is DickDanger’s country? Somalia?

3 Likes

I’m ok with them arresting this guy for flagrantly, publicly, deliberately, and provocatively announcing how he is breaking the law, while breeding contempt for the law…as soon as they also arrest Cliven Bundy and his followers for doing the very same thing.

7 Likes

Stupid laws whose only effective consequence are enraging the bigots to new heights of frenzy. I’d be willing to bet the ones complaining so loudly about respecting the law all cheat on their taxes and drive over the speed limit.

2 Likes

Trippin, I’ve clarified my comment which had the unfortunate consequence of rendering your comment inscrutable.

Got it – trying to keep up! ha ha :slight_smile:

1 Like

You win the thread.