Discussion: Trump's Top Economist Leaving Without Incurring His Wrath: 'He Is A True Friend'

He IS leaving.

So, um, just curious, but what did Hassett do while he was there, except lick Spankee’s butt?

I can’t really remember hearing anything about this dude, but perhaps he’s just not been so page-1-ish.

5 Likes

Hassett always appeared to be jacked up on some powerful drug with that ever-grinning face promoting Trump’s delusional policies.

5 Likes

“will be leaving shortly”

Also June 14th? Then Trump might send a package of nominations to the Senate, all confirmed in 2 hours, according to the new rule.

1 Like

I am skeptical that Donald Trump has ever had a friend one day in his life. I think friendship, as you and I understand it, is one more of those fundamental life-skill concepts that totally eludes him. Sick mind (or bad)!

7 Likes

Ewww, can you imagine being called a “friend” by Donald, ewww.

5 Likes

Time to crank out another carton of Medals of Freedom.

5 Likes

“Hassett thought the tax cut would largely go to workers’ paychecks. He was wrong,” Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.) said Sunday. “He was fortunate to serve in an administration where facts don’t matter.”

From comments:

“Brian Riedl, a conservative analyst at the Manhattan Institute, added that Hassett’s White House legacy will likely be judged by the degree to which the tax law encourages the investment and wage growth “forcefully predicted” by the council. “At this point, it is too early to tell,” Riedl said.”

It is not too early to tell. There is no boost in investment. No boost in wages. No boost in job growth.

The only boosts are in debt and the bank accounts of the already wealthy.

The tax cuts were a short term binge with a permanent hangover.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/06/03/kevin-hassett-president-trumps-top-economist-leave-white-house/?utm_term=.3835454cd9b2

This guy’s a genius! Also from comments:

His 1999 book, DOW 36,000 was published late in the fall, right before an 83% collapse ( peak to trough ) of the Nasdaq 100 and the 53% collapse of the S&P 500.

Mr. Always Wrong.

Who’s the next one? Stephen Moore?

6 Likes

So all you have to do is be a complete lickspittle toady with no sense and no sense of propriety. Got it.

I wonder what “new opportunity” is leading him to get out of dodge.

1 Like

He helped get the tax cut (aka massive gift to the wealthy) passed and said it would bebfit the American worker, because surely corporations would pass on the tax savings to the peons. They passed it on all right - to their shareholders or bought back stock.

2 Likes

as you can see from the picture, Hassett’s lips have worn completely off from the ass-kissing he’s done for the last two years.

…and Stephen Moore was reportedly seen filling his basket at CVS with Chapstick last week…

2 Likes

That’s not quite fair – but I do appreciate that you’re at least asking the question.

On the plus side, he tried to dissuade Trump from interfering with the Fed; he did not join the anti-immigrant crusades; and he refused to downplay the economic effects of climate change.

On the minus side, well, just about everything else.

Oh, he did also help provide comic relief:

Donald Trump’s top economist has a new analogy for those bemoaning the impacts of the administration’s trade wars: Just think of the U.S. economy as an 18th century warship battling a scurvy outbreak and Trump’s tariffs and other trade weapons as the bitter lemons needed to cure it.

“If you have scurvy and you don’t get vitamin C, then you are going to die,” said Kevin Hassett, chairman of the Council of Economic Advisers. “But vitamin C might not always fix you. Maybe it does. So if I give you vitamin C did I increase uncertainty? You were certain you were going to die before, but now you’re not.”

And yes, he does have a Ph. D. in economics. He’s careless and a bit of a hack – Dow 36,000 springs to mind – but he was mentored by a decent economist and an old friend.

2 Likes

Well, there’s only so much damage to the economy one person can do, so it’s obvious Donnie needed new blood.

3 Likes

Unless we count his alter-egos!

1 Like

Okay…and did presumably enough “yay Spankee” cheerleading to avoid drawing Spankee’s ire in these instances…?

It is a continuous source of amazement to me that there are so many people with a decent to excellent education who seem to have performed well in the classroom and jettisoned much of their knowledge (and nearly all of their ethics) when they get into positions in this (mal) administration.

Anyway, thanks for the further clarificaitons.

2 Likes

I can offer no insight into the details of his relationship with Dear Leader!

Hassett’s decline began when he left Treasury during the Clinton Administration to join the so-called American Enterprise Institute.

And don’t tell Trump, especially not today, but he was also McCain’s economic adviser for a couple of years.

2 Likes

Oh how prophetic you are.

All recent presidents, D or R, have by and large picked influential and brilliant economists for this position. Even W picked top notch folks like Hubbard, Mankiw and Lazear. You might disagree with the policy implications of their work (I certainly do!) but the disagreement is an intellectual one about assumptions of their theories. At least they have highly logical and well-articulated bases for their approaches. Trump is the first one, not suprisingly, who picked a complete no-name and minor-leaguer. And even this guy couldn’t stand the job, obviously, and had to get out. I would hate to speculate on who will be next.

1 Like

This dude has always struck me less as an out and out scumbag (hello Stephen Moore) than as an evangelical economist, or perhaps an economic evangelist. A bad mix. His faith and optimism seem to be unshakable to the point of delusion. The constant grin gives it away. Impossible to make someone like this face the music. He’ll crawl back to his rw welfare and do a new edition of Dow 36,000 in time for it to hit, say, 30,000.

1 Like