Discussion: Trump's EPA Nominee: Climate Change 'A Huge Issue' But Not 'Greatest Crisis'

he;s right
the greatest crisis is the infestation in our White House.
everyday the stink gets worse

1 Like

We are pro-family by wanting white women to have lots of children. Because lots of them will die from lung diseases and water-borne contaminants. That’s Republican Family Values at their finest.
But the wall is the real problem-solver.

1 Like

maybe a wall will keep the polluted air away from wealthy people’s lungs?

1 Like

yes, not like Saint Reagan, before he got too vague…

I would invite Mr Wheeler to spend an hour on my front porch this July 4th. Then tell me it isn’t hot outside. Then, after bringing him inside and making him chug a liter of water and stand in the shower under cold water just to lower his body temp, I would explain to him that it is this hot every day from mid April to mid October. Our hot time of year was a month shorter just a decade sgo. It is January. Rye grass is sprouting in my back yard. This normally happens in March. Climate change is real and it’s here… now. I wonder if Wheeler likes coffee. Does he know that in decades to come coffee may be extinct?
I guess I shouldn’t try to reason with stupidity.

5 Likes

Wait until after this weekend.

It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.
– Melania Trump

3 Likes

Even Orwell never, ever envisioned a political party as corrupt, criminal, mendacious, cruel and greedy as our GOP. He’d think we were kidding if he rose from the dead and beheld the likes of Trump/McConnell/Cornyn/Graham et al.

2 Likes

“I believe we are moving forward” on protections

Increasing the amount of mercury and other toxins in the air is moving forward? What would moving backwards look like? What exactly do you mean by “moving forward?”

“I would not call it the greatest crisis,”

The Antarctica has gone from losing 44 billion tons of ice each year in the 1980’s to losing 278 billion tons per year since 2009, and the loss is accelerating. In Antarctica the loss from 2016 to 2017 increased by 15%. By the end of the century at this rate sea levels will rise over 10 feet. That is within the lifetime of people now living. Six feet of rise wipes out all of the southern tip of Florida and every costal city in the world. In other words, from between 1979 to 1990 compared to 2009 to 2017, the amount of ice that flowed into the ocean per year increased by six times.

And that isn’t the worst of it. The acidification of not just the oceans but also fresh water lakes and rivers by increasing CO2 is destroying the aquatic ecosystems. Increased temperatures on land are altering weather patterns causing droughts and floods and making farming every more unpredictable. And all the damage like fires and floods and hurricanes is increasing because of the changes.

What crisis is worse than that?

2 Likes

And the article says that Wheeler is the grandson of a coal miner. Know who else is the grandson of a coal miner? ExSen Frothy from PA. His grandfather left Italy ahead of the police because he was a communist and would have been jailed. If he had known what his grandson would turn out to be, he would have self-castrated.

This suggests that the studies showing methylation of DNA from environmental factors can affect future offspring may have something going for them.

Melania must have gotten into her hubby’s drugs

1 Like

We’re the party making America Great, again. You let us be the judge.

Andrew Wheeler: another Republican = another dumbass liar and parasite.

Andrew Wheeler has been well compensated for his willful ignorance. A hack. A worshiper of mammon.

Anthropomorphically-caused climate change is the greatest crisis facing humanity. If it is not an extinction level crisis for us, it is a civilization destroying crisis. In order for humanity to survive long term, we must adapt by dramatically changing our civilization. With each passing year, this will become more and more apparent, and the cost in suffering will be staggering.

We must very quickly find methods for extracting massive quantities of carbon from the ecosphere, and we must resequester this carbon, effectively terraforming Earth. And that’s just for the start. We’re going to lose a lot of land ice, and the oceans will continue to warm. We will lose the glaciers in the Himalayas, and this will lead to the great rivers of Asia becoming only seasonally flowing; that’s a lot of thirsty people. The ocean “rise” from reduced water density due to greater temperature and the melted land ice will be severe. (For example, the Outer Banks of North Carolina will be permanently underwater.) The oceans are acidifying (H2O+CO2 yields H2CO3, carbonic acid, see bleaching corals where temperature also plays a role) and the organisms in the water that photosynthesize CO2 to O2 are producing less O2 due to these changes. We are anticipating extremely significant extinction events in the ocean, leading to food chain collapse. That will be a more serious problem in the “short term” than land temperatures. The desalination of the ocean waters near the poles will dramatically reduce ocean currents, leading to severe winters and summers for areas normally moderated by ocean currents; Europe will experience Siberian winters. Previously rare winter events such as a descending polar vortex moving off the poles will become more frequent due to the reduction of jet stream velocity and a reduced thermal gradient between the polar and temperate regions. Because of the slowing jet streams, we will experience longer periods of drenching rains followed by longer periods of extreme drought.

Even now, methane contained within permafrost is being released at accelerating rates due to thawing permafrost. Methane is around 13 times worse as a greenhouse gas than CO2. The only good thing about this is that methane eventually breaks down into CO2.

Homo sapiens releasing of all this previously sequestered carbon (fossil fuels) into the environment is returning the environment to the way it was before the carbon was previously sequestered. Damn hot.

If we do not change quickly enough, “Mad Max” will look like a cartoon.

2 Likes

My first thought, after seeing this photo of this guy, was recalling a recent comment by @mattinpa:

This guy. All you have to do is look at that head, and that’s the whole story right there. Rectangular, like a canned ham with a hairpiece.

2 Likes

I actually agree with him. Global warming is not the greatest threat, at least not in this country. No the greatest threat is the political party, corporations, and spewers of right-wing propaganda that claim global warming isn’t the greatest threat.

1 Like

Fuck that guy.

Trump’s EPA Nominee: Climate Change ‘A Huge Issue’ But Not ‘Greatest Crisis Apart From The Wall` .

What can I tell you? There must be something round about sensitivity, awareness, having the big picture and taking the long view, because those things don’t seem to fit inside square heads. Maybe that’s why they were once called “squares” to begin with.

1 Like

I guess that this also explains the origins of “blockhead.”

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available