Discussion: Trump’s Inauguration Paid Trump’s Company — With Ivanka In The Middle

So one can cheat the system right up until being sworn it? I believe there is some expectation in regard to candidates for high office, and certainly to anyone once they have won an election to high office. I am not certain about the technical application, and, of course, we see that norms are just things to actively violate for this administration.

1 Like

“It never rains, but it does pour” (Southern CA motto, also applies to Trump family investigations).

1 Like

They always got away with it in the past, and I assume they believed their positions of even greater power would protect them now & in the future (till 2024). Somehow they never noticed the white-hot spotlight that is focused on the president 24/7/365

3 Likes

Not sure why it never occurred to Trump that being the president might be a bad idea.

19 Likes

Trump has been promoted, assisted & protected by the MSM all his life, and especially in the last 5 years or so.

However, it appears the MSM is easing up on the fawning over Trump, and starting to report some actual facts.

3 Likes

do tell. or link

3 Likes

:open_mouth: :scream: :joy:

2 Likes

Maybe. That’s what I’m asking.

As for after being sworn in, there’s no penal code section for emoluments and so far no court judgement against it. Despite Constitutional prohibition, there’s so far no reason to think that even the actual president is not allowed to “cheat the system” (if that’s the right term for doing something that no existing system is even attempting to prevent).

3 Likes

He was too focused on besting Obama and so accustomed of getting away with his crimes that he felt impervious.

5 Likes

He’d gotten away with all of this his whole life, so why would being a president change it? He could only get away with a lot more of it until he couldn’t. It’s probably occurred to him recently it perhaps was a mistake. Too late, sucker!

7 Likes

This isn’t emoluments, but it likely is misappropriation and embezzlement. And if any of the quo’s were executed after the inauguration, bribery.

(But wait, pledges were made before the inauguration, but were payments made after?)

8 Likes

When people discover they’ve been conned, they’re inclined to be enraged at the person who tells them they’ve been conned. Then they think up excuses for why they were conned- and seldom accept blame for themselves, or even the con-man. Its usually some sort of plot by whatever group they are hating that day- liberals, gays, illegals and so on. And the con-men (not just Trump, but the entire GOP) return and skin SKIM the victim again and again.

6 Likes

These grifters gotta go. Lock them up!

3 Likes

There’s a sobering, historical counterexample to this assumption in the tale of Fritz Julius Kuhn, leader of the German American Bund – an American pro-Nazi organization that flourished prior to and during WWII.

As Wikipedia tells this story:

in 1939, seeking to cripple the Bund, New York City Mayor Fiorello La Guardia ordered the city to investigate the Bund’s taxes. It found that Kuhn had embezzled over $14,000 from the organization, spending part of the money on a mistress. District Attorney Thomas E. Dewey issued an indictment and won a conviction against Kuhn. On December 5, 1939, Kuhn was sentenced to two and a half to five years in prison for tax evasion and embezzlement. Despite his criminal conviction for embezzlement [of their money], followers of the Bund continued to hold Kuhn in high regard, in line with the Nazi Führerprinzip, which gives the leader absolute power.

This isn’t even a unique example. The great James Randi made a career of exposing the tricks used by “faith healers”. Result? The victims of these faith healers angrily turned against…James Randi. True story.

12 Likes

Its also a good example of how crooks aren’t even all that smart or clever, let alone as brilliant as Hollywood movies make them out to be. The question is why did they get away with their thieving for so long? Many answers, including the system is set up by rich people & corporations who are also very shady operators. Their grift & corruption is on a much more massive scale than Trump’s. He was just one of those pilot fish who hang out with sharks, eating their leavings.

5 Likes

That’s how I read it initially, and it still sounds like she has been authorized to give the princess a good little shove. Maybe Daddy thinks Lust Object will be immune to getting hurt, but I think he just values NO ONE more than his own shriveled skin. I guess we’ll see what being the good loyal First Daughter gets you.

4 Likes

I think this is the reference: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/13/donald-trumps-worst-deal

Ivanka was knee deep in the project - and look to the money flow/sources.

7 Likes

Certainly something that we should try to formally fix. I am hopeful that these incredibly dubious actions fit under some law. One of the problems we are seeing is that we have often relied on simple decent behavior and following norms, which clearly is not the practice of this group of thieves.

3 Likes

Not just feckless but a greedy cnut, too

1 Like

Yes, but first we have to control both Congress and the WH. Otherwise not a chance!

The article, I believe, suggested a potential tax-law violation, so there’s that. At some point, I’d hope ordinary bribery laws would kick in here, too.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available