Discussion: Trump Rebukes 'Monstrous Terrorist Attack' In NZ: 'Horrible, Horrible Thing'

“Now watch me veto the congressional rebuke of my emergency declaration, so I can further smear and terrorize minority refugees in this country.”

6 Likes

He must be in a good mood after his veto or a really satisfying bowel movement

4 Likes

We are NOT.

Trump is.

2 Likes

“These incidents wouldn’t happen if Muslims and other brown people would stop coming to our white countries. It’s their own fault for doing that. What do they expect? How many lessons do they have to be taught?”

1 Like

At least he got the prime minister’s name right.

3 Likes

“The real growing threat are the Muslin colored people with their high birth rates. Rather frightening to real Americans.”

2 Likes

We already saw 59 men and women gunned down in Las Vegas, with hundreds more injured. That was on Trump’s watch. He shrugged and did nothing, which is mostly all he has the energy, curiosity, or motivation to do.

The country mostly has to survive the relative vacuum in the oval office. It’s been rocky, but that’s mostly what we’ve done.

6 Likes

We have a large scale terrorist incident AND a national disaster. In the Oval Office.

4 Likes

The statement was better than I expected but much less than what should be expected from an American President. There was nothing to address the pain of the Muslim community who are being targeted and hunted by white nationalists.

After this statement, he then goes off on ‘invasions’ across the border from brown folks running away from desperate situations and calls them criminals. So Trump continues to perpetuate the same themes that give rise to white nationalism. He later dismisses the white nationalist threat.

Trump stokes white nationalism, but I think it’s important to note he pushes the buttons that are already there. We’ve got a lot of folks in this country who fear demographic change and essentially believe the ‘replacement ideology’ that Josh writes about in his editorial about the killer’s manifesto. Trump brings more polish to what people like Steve King, Paul LePage and Tucker Carlson say daily. But we need to look at white nationalism as a grassroots view of GOP voters, not something that emanates or was imposed from top-down. The reason Trump continues to self-immolate over the wall and this national emergency declaration is because he needs to keep up the myth that he has a sense of urgency over demographic change, and he uses brown skinned immigrants crossing the border as the metaphor for keeping that going. That’s what the caravan trope was about. In reality, he makes more money off of foreigners than he does from Americans. You can see it in all the grift related money he generates from Russians, Saudis, Emiratis, Chinese, Indians, Malays and Israelis. If he fails to connect with those voters on the urgency they feel over demographic change, he loses that base because the rest of what he has to offer is not very appealing.

15 Likes

I tried to be mature. I tried so hard not to " :heart: " your comment.

I failed.

Reporter: “Mr. President, do you feel there’s any to the charges that your nationalist rhetoric is feeding stochastic terrorism?”

President Trump: “My excellent words regarding my bigly success at Wharton had nothing to do with the liberal college entrance scandals.”

1 Like

It feels like this paragraph from Josh should be appended to the article:

[Trump] gave a generic condemnation of the massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand and then proceeded to give a meandering speech about foreign “invasion”, i.e., immigrants “rushing our border”, calling them “murderers and killers”. In other words, moments after denouncing the massacre he went on with a lie-laden screed much of which was indistinguishable from the attacker’s manifesto.

In fact, Moments After Denouncing Massacre Trump Continued With Lie-Laden Screed That Was Indistinguishable From Attacker’s Manifesto would have been a good headline too.

6 Likes

Trump has trouble linking White Supremacists to Terrorism. After all many of his friends and assistants like Stephen Miller, Steve Bannon, Kirstjen Nielsen are avowed White Supremacists and are not shooting up mosques or synagogues. They do the right thing and build concentration camps, that’s not terrorism.

2 Likes

…all the enthusiasm of ordering from a restaurant menu.

I’'l have a Big Mac, terrorist, Mosque, fries, the veto rally here in the Oval Office, and a coke.

3 Likes

Win 10 Calculator has Date Calculation mode.

3 Likes

One of his staff, or one of the myriad governments and foreign intelligence agencies who’ve hacked his unsecured iPhone.

1 Like

He not only pushes them, he validates them. That’s worse.

2 Likes

I think his racist voters know what they believe. They just click into gear when Trump finds the right words and dog whistles to connect to those hot buttons. It’s also why his numbers go down when he’s doing stuff like whacking the ACA or more Russia stuff. It doesn’t connect where they’re at.

2 Likes

So 100% of the United States of America, and 0% of Mur’ca.

1 Like

Shouldn’t that be “radical white supremacist terrorist”? Because some of those just plain old “white supremacists” are fine people.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available