I don’t think this marks the beginning of a Trump threat. I think it shows the success the GOP main liners have had on Trump. This isn’t tough…it’s a yield.
“I want to do what’s right for the country — not what’s good for special interest groups that contribute, not what’s good for the lobbyists and the donors.”
That’s not the same guy that made the comments about Mexicans or McCain. The GOP whipped Trump good.
If Trump was running as a 3rd party candidate in Texas, he might narrow the margin somewhat, but it’s still unlikely that HRC carries Texas anyhow.
In the sixteen elections starting in 1952, Democrats have won Texas four times. Two of those wins—1960 and 1964 were due to the presence of LBJ on the ticket, and while he wasn’t running in '68, Johnson’s influence and Dem machine in Texas was undoubtedly critical in his VP Humphrey taking the state. However, if Wallace had not been on the ticket, it’s probable that Nixon would have won there. The last Dem victory was in '76, with Southerner Carter narrowly taking Texas over the unelected incumbent Ford.
If Clinton chose Julian Castro as her Veep, it would certainly help, but it would take a gargantuan voter registration effort in the Mexican-American communities to yield enough votes to overcome the likely huge advantage that any GOP nominee will have with gringos in Texas.
I’ve been saying that the RNC and Fox will eventually make the decision to bar Trump from the debates, regardless of where he stands in the polls, because of his inflammatory comments about Mexicans and then John McCain. Now Trump has upped the ante—kiss my ass or I’ll leave. If Trump stays in the GOP race, he sucks up huge amounts of attention and oxygen that would otherwise go to other Republican candidates, but if he runs as an independent he may siphon off enough votes in some critical states to give the election to the Democrats.
I think this proves it is impossible to satirize the far right; no matter how foolish you make them look in fiction, their real world quickly overwhelms it.
You know the weird part, beyond all that circus act claptrap? Rick Perry (yeah, him, I know!) actually said something thoughtful and almost lyrical yesterday criticizing Trump as a cancer on conservatism. I do not agree with any of them, but it just surprised me that he could talk so purty.
Now it’s completely clear: this Trump campaign has been a money-making scam from the get-go.
First it was, If you don’t accommodate my ego and pay me as a Fox contributor, then I’ll run for the RNC nomination for president.
Next it was, if you don’t give me a yuge permanent guaranteed loudspeaker, worship the very ground on which I shed myself, get me prime time TV slot gigs somewhere on Fox or where ever for my stupid shows, and get me a yuge whacking guaranteed stream of endless cash and credit right fkng now, Imma ruin your goofy clown car chase.
Now it’s, if you think FOR A MOMENT Imma put up with you GOP A-holes pre-pundissing my chances at gaming the RNC nominattion as anti-Trump extortion spray, FINE, I’ll run as a third party and toadally SCREW your phony baloney party out of 5 million or more votes, which won’t just mean my friend Hillary is EVEN MORE a mortal lock for the White House, but it’ll have big down-ballot consequences for your little criminal enterprise.
So pony up, GOP of Mister Moneybags - and pronto: I’m turning SEVENTY next June, I got the biggest frggng ego on the planet, my sense of entitlement DEMANDS that I get treated like I in fact have the billions I claim to have, now I want it ALL, you bozos, and you better get it to me PRONTO, capiche? Or else some, maybe a whole lot, of your candidates, heaven forbid, may find their political careers encased in concrete sinking to the bottom of the ocean in November 2016.
Think of it as insurance. I am, after all, from New Jersey.
"I’ll have to see how I’m being treated by the Republicans," he said about a third-party run. "Absolutely, if they’re not fair, that would be a factor."
Shorter version: “Nice little Party you got there. Be a real shame if anything were to happen to it.”
The ONLY name Trump will consider for his party is the “Trump Party” … as it should be. It’s all about him… he built it… it should bear his name. What no one seems to be focusing on:
the GOTP wants to run the country… and they can’t even run a candidacy selection process, for their own party. They have abrogated it to a broadcasting network, albeit bought and paid for, but still… since when did Faux become the actual Republican party? And this is supposed to be an improvement over smoke filled back rooms?