Discussion: Trump: I Ended Military Drills With S. Korea To Save Money! And Also N. Korea Wanted It

1 Like

What. An. Idiot.

30 Likes

33 Likes

According to the Washington Post, Trump has taken some 19 trips to Mar-a-Lago during his presidency so far. If the average cost of $3.4 million for the first four trips is extrapolated, that means the president’s vacations have cost taxpayers at least $64.6 million. And that doesn’t count travel to his club in Bedminster, N.J., where Trump goes in the summer.

As of 2/05/2019

https://www.npr.org/2019/02/05/691684859/government-watchdog-trumps-trips-to-florida-costing-taxpayers-millions

And the year is still young.

35 Likes

A moron indeed. A dangerous one.

16 Likes

The cost of those drills is less than the first estimate for your military parade in DC, back when you still wanted it.

32 Likes

Something tells me this isn’t just about saving money. The South Koreans are currently in a make-nice phase with the North, so this may have been on their initiative. Or maybe a tie-in with Chinese trade negotiations? They don’t like seeing operational drills of US military in that area either.

8 Likes

Your insight does you credit.

12 Likes

I don’t think that Moon Jae-In trusts Kim Jong-Un any further than he could throw him. Yes, SK definitely wants NK to stop the saber rattling. but, I can’t believe that SK wouldn’t want a “Plan B” in case making nice fails.

11 Likes

The reason I do not want military drills with South Korea is to save hundreds of millions of dollars for the U.S. for which we are not reimbursed. That was my position long before I became President. Also, reducing tensions with North Korea at this time is a good thing!

20 Likes

Putin: “This is WAY too easy…”

46 Likes

Does Kim want a wall too ? ? …

8 Likes

A huge concession, for nothing, that diminishes our influence in the region and shakes soon-to-be-former allies’ confidence in us and I’ll tell you why it was done: because Putin wanted it. This is an open betrayal of the nation.

39 Likes

Yeah, I thought about that angle too. I just have a hard time figuring out how Trump would get his marching orders, short of a personal private meeting, or some back-channel that we haven’t heard about. Of course, maybe it’s as simple as Donald just constantly saying to himself, “how can I help Putin today?” I could believe that.

5 Likes

Nah … donnie still has the notes

3 Likes

There was a Russian at that summit I thought.

16 Likes

“Japan and South Korea already pay large amounts to host U.S. forces on their soil,” he said. “Trump’s comments make it more likely that competitors will escalate crises into conflicts, and that U.S. allies will develop their own independent defensive capabilities, which could increase the danger of nuclear proliferation in Asia and elsewhere.”

Still technically at war with North Korea, Seoul has shouldered part of Washington’s cost for stationing its troops since 1991, currently paying for about 40 percent of the cost.

12 Likes

ahem …

maybe both of them ? ? …

5 Likes

Or maybe a Trump just discovered that NK would be a good place to build condos.

6 Likes

Here’s how.

15 Likes