Discussion: Trump Freestyled His Emergency Border Declaration And It Wasn't Pretty

1 Like

Just in

General Joseph Votel breaks rank with Trump over Syria
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47256699
The top US general in the Middle East has said he disagrees with President Donald Trump’s decision to withdraw from Syria.

Gen Joseph Votel told CNN that IS militants were still active in Syria and US-backed forces were not yet capable of handling the threat alone.

The commander told the Senate last week that Mr Trump did not consult him ahead of announcing his Syria pull-out plans.

65 Likes

Humpty Trumpty will fall off his wall.

50 Likes

It was basically a campaign rally with an emergency declaration mixed in.

83 Likes

It was the worst I’ve ever seen him ……
and that’s saying something —

112 Likes

I hope everybody remembered to drink when he mentioned the bound women.

What is the deal with “3 women tied up in the back of a car”? Why 3? Is that in “Sicario”? Wouldn’t the white panel van used by all self-respecting kidnappers have room for more than 3?

67 Likes

Unalloyed bullshit. There is no demonstrable emergency on the southern border; there is one in Washington, DC.

62 Likes

I didn’t …… beg a pardon ……

but that was the point where I actually had to put wax back into my ears —

29 Likes

72 Likes

Declaring a national emergency over the wall? This won’t end well for Trump
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/15/declaring-a-national-emergency-over-the-wall-this-wont-end-well-for-trump
In the days ahead, the House Democrats are certain to pass a resolution rescinding Trump’s assertion of emergency powers over the federal budget. Under the 1976 National Emergencies Act, McConnell then will be forced to bring the resolution to the Senate floor for a prompt vote. Even though Senate Republicans tend to get the vapors at the thought of crossing Trump, this time there likely would be enough Republican defectors for the resolution to easily pass.

At that point, Trump would face a choice: fold his hand or issue his first veto rejecting the bipartisan resolution? A veto would enrage not only Democrats but also tradition-minded congressional Republicans worried about the long-term implications of ceding so much power to a president. And my guess is that, at every moment of this ersatz crisis, Trump would be shedding political support like dandruff.

This being America in 2019, Trump’s misuse of the federal emergency powers would eventually end up in front of the US supreme court. This case would test whether the purported strict constructionists making up the court’s majority believe more in the spending powers granted Congress under the Constitution or in slavish loyalty to a mercurial Republican president.

67 Likes

Free floating insanity, inanity, arrogance and petulance. The real national emergency is DJT.

50 Likes

Anything to distract from Russia. Mueller must be closer than we know.

35 Likes

I’m declaring a National Emergency…now watch this drive…

73 Likes

It was the usual sniffing and riffing. It was full of incomplete sentences, out right lies, his fascination with the death penalty (China executes drug dealers), touting the stock market which is not the economy, wall wall wall, love of Kim Jong Un (executes his own family members, starves his people, sends his people to gulags for minor stuff), Isis is gone (ya sure.), and the declaration of a national nonemergency. This emergency is so bad he is headed for Mar a Lago to play golf for the long weekend.

52 Likes

Fuck. Just plain fuck. We’re led by a demented person.

61 Likes

It was like listening to a story about a sewage plant and a Trump speech broke out.

29 Likes

Regarding the economy - Thanks Obama!

35 Likes

the chief numbnuts thinks “Sicario” was a documentary. next up “Mad Max”.

16 Likes

19 Likes

We are edging ever closer to a true Captain Queeg moment. I refuse to watch this clown babble in real time so I’ll have to rely on the press to record the event.

57 Likes