Discussion: Trump: 'Excellent Preliminary Meeting' With Schumer, 'Making Progress'

Hmmmmmm…

A bipartisan group of senators just wrapped up their meeting to discuss the spending bill. When the senators opened the door and saw the press, someone could be heard asking if they could go out a different door.

The senators went out a back door, except for Sen. Angus King who seemed unusually upset and would not comment on the status of how things were going. The group included:

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska)
Sen. Jerry Moran (R-Kansas)
Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D-New Hampshire)
Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D-North Dakota)
Sen. Joe Donnelly (D-Indiana)
Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minnesota)
Sen. Joe Manchin (D-West Virginia)
Sen. Mark Warner (D-Virginia)
Sen. Tim Kaine (D-Virginia)
Sen. Angus King (I-Maine)

Not sure what to make of this. Includes 3 Dem Senators who already caved, and several wafflers. Also includes several who are (were?) supposedly hard “no” votes.

Not even sure whether it’s a good or bad sign that the meeting apparently didn’t go well. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

3 Likes

It’s just another form of overcompensation for mediocre white racists.

1 Like

#shitholeshutdown is WAY better and more catchy than “Schumer Shutdown.” Trump handed it to the Dems on a silver platter. They better fucking use it.

5 Likes

Because yuuuuuuuge racist political theater requires yuuuuuuuge props.

8 Likes

Yeah…I’m hoping he’s going to be out of his mind worse than usual this weekend .

Edit: Frankly, we should try to find some way of fucking up his every weekend’s golf plans. He’ll lose his shit.

5 Likes

Because, without the wall, we can’t put on the ceiling.

4 Likes

It was the fact that the country isn’t white enough that did that. Mexicans were just an easy target.

And people with punitive authoritarian personalities just swoon over the idea of stopping these immigrants at a wall.

3 Likes

We blew up the ceiling last year. There will be no more ceiling.

4 Likes

Not just “stopping.” Go on the comments section of any right-wing website, and you’ll find a plethora of bloodthirsty fantasies featuring Wall-mounted machine guns mowing down approaching immigrants.

1 Like

But but but…then they’re just going to be able to climb the wall!

1 Like

That smells to me like the usual opportunistic DINOs trying to make a deal, even if it throws the Dems and DACA under a bus, so they can claim they are the bipartisan heroes who averted a shutdown. I can’t fucking stand Heitkamp, Manchin and some of the others.

1 Like

This is exactly what I thought (except, not quite as colorfully as you did).

1 Like

I would have gone with fruitcake, but to each their own.

I’m concerned as well. The list of Democratic attendees there includes three Cavers, and a number that seem likely to be Cave-curious.

Seems possible that this group was looking for some kind of “third way.” Maybe a one week CR, with promises to work on a DACA deal in the meantime, something like that.

The problem is, THIS is the moment of maximum leverage for Dems. Trump’s one-year anniversary, which he wants to spend doing a victory lap, not presiding over a Shutdown, is THIS weekend, not next weekend.

3 Likes

This just in and I am a tad bit nervous.

Women’s march is tomorrow, for good measure. Trump is stuck in DC with a giant crowd of angry women AGAIN.

5 Likes

What’s in the House amendment?

Might be a good thing to know, doncha think?

3 Likes

Hmmm.

ETA House amendment to Senate Amendment?

1 Like

Behold the madness of King Donald!

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available