Discussion: Trump Admin Plans Emergency Aid For Farmers Caught In Tariffs Crossfire

I knew he’d do this. He creates crises then comes to the rescue. He’s the arsonist-fireman. Is he going to cost me money with tarrifs and then use more of my money to rescue US manufacturing too?

80 Likes

Hell no. No welfare for these losers.

22 Likes

Ah, yes. Create a safety net for your base and call it “emergency aid”. Shall we bet how long this aid will continue? Isn’t this … um, welfare and food stamps?

43 Likes

Nah, he’ll stiff them all.

12 Likes

Pence probably told him the big agra donors won’t give the GOP a dime for the midterms without a bailout.

12 Likes

“We’re stopping the barriers to other countries. They send them in and take advantage of us,” Trump said. “This is the way it’s going to go — make our farmers great again.”

Can anyone translate this babble?

23 Likes

So trump kneecaps the economy with the tariffs, then he shovels tax money to corporate farmers. How is this not a bailout? And oh yeah: will the recipient of this welfare…er, subsidy…be required to show that all its workers are in the US legally?

42 Likes

“I’m buying the farm vote and making big agra happy.”

27 Likes

Big Ag lives in an economic world all it’s own: Entirely dependent on a government it disdains.

46 Likes

It means I’m spouting off lies to keep my base and I’ll bribe them if necessary.

17 Likes

No.

At least, no one sane.

Or honest.

And where the hell is the money for this pre-midterms bailout coming from?

9 Likes

A lot of R’s feel that way.

Sad.

10 Likes

Our tax dollars at work. Making sure only poor people suffer from tariffs.

23 Likes

So take money from the treasury to give to GOP donors so that they can give it to GOP candidates. un-freakin’-real

25 Likes

Trade wars are easy if you buy off a few folks. This ought to go no where fast but hey those folks in Kansas, Iowa, and Missouri need to be rescued. Where is the $$ coming from?

26 Likes

Meanwhile, back at the White House, Trump dissembles and starts a conspiracy theory.

And btw, Trump is not running in 2018. Though he may be on the ballot in spirit.

21 Likes

Of course not, because it is going to Real AmericansTM instead of lazy city folk. /s

13 Likes

Typical AP fluff - plenty of direct and aggressive-sounding quotes about how positive this will be, matched by some vague hint of “creating risks for the economy.”

Then too, who wasn’t thinking that this administration hasn’t planned to throw billions into some internal markets (farming) just to give red staters some blue cash to play with.

I wonder what they’ll do one day - after an election - when the Treasury turns the spigot off?

8 Likes

I thought the whole reason for tariffs was to combat the unfair subsidies foreign governments were giving their manufacturers and farmers. NOW, that foreign states are fighting back, we give our farmers subsidies when they were just fine competing before. Trump’s strategy seems to be to wreck everything and see what comes out the other end of his tirades.

17 Likes