Discussion: Treasury Refuses Dem Subpoena For Trump Tax Returns

somehow you’ve separated ’ the base ’ … and the Democrats …

So I don’t know who you are … that helps when trying to frame conversations …

Mostly … I just hear you yelling … THOSE F’ING DEMOCRATS ! …

welp … good luck with that –

2 Likes

Indeed, Roberts is the Supreme Court at this point. Please let’s hope he is an American first, and partisan way down the list.

2 Likes

Nancy Pelosi’s strategy of conserving political capital while passing the #forthepeople agenda is being put to the test. At the end of the day, that’s what Pelosi’s approach is about. It isn’t whether Trump is deserving of impeachment or whether any major fact finding mission is required to commence impeachment hearings or to vote out impeachment articles. It’s that Pelosi isn’t going to invest any political capital in something she believes is relatively unpopular when she can invest capital in things that are popular (e.g. health care).

The equality bill and their ACA fix bill passed the House. They have a few others on tap. Not a one of these moves will see the light of day in the Senate. Yet, she justifies it b/c it will allow her members to tell their constituents that they got stuff done.

The same logic also applies to impeachment btw, and provides a much more tangible result in terms of checking Trump and the Administration, whereas the only tangible legislative accomplishment Dems can achieve is to stop bad GOP bills. They won’t pass any of their ideas into law.

For Pelosi’s strategy to really work, you have to aggressively use the opportunities to enforce oversight responsibilities where possible. Going after Mnuchin is one of the easier things to do b/c the law is crystal clear. This would be a time to make a move like arresting him and forcing Mnuchin to go to court to stop it. This gentlemanly process of going to court just wastes time and makes Dems look weak.

The other problem here is by relying wholly on the courts, the Dems are taking a risk that a bad fait conservative judge won’t accept any of Trump’s radical legal arguments, the effect of which would enshrine into law an Imperial Presidency and cut Congress’ power off. After all, we’re facing down a bad faith law suit against the ACA which was initially supported by a bad faith conservative judge.

While few will defy Pelosi, there isn’t unity in the caucus on this. People in the caucus want more aggressive action.

3 Likes

Tena, I have missed you on these boards.

3 Likes

I guess I’m too naive to understand Nancy’s game here.

3 Likes

I’m sure your critics will take the following in stride:

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Wednesday that the full Democratically-controlled House likely won’t schedule votes to hold Attorney General William Barr or possibly others in contempt of Congress before the Memorial Day recess. “I don’t anticipate it to be done this month,” the Maryland congressman who is the No. 2 Democratic leader in the chamber told reporters. “We only have one week left.”

Steny Hoyer knows best – and don’t you forget it.

[quote=“jteufel, post:94, topic:88038, full:true”]
I think you’re hung up on labels, my man. I’m for bringing down the Trump administration. Call that what you want.[/quote]

It’s really quite ungracious of you not to take the bait.

Blasphemy!

2 Likes

Democrat’s, it’s backbone time, quit talking, take action. Seriously, the House needs to send the Sgt. at Arms, over cuff the insolent arrogant whelp Mnuchin and throw him in a House anteroom and “lock’em up” until the girlyman comply’s. Then start filling the room with the rest of the Trump lawful subpoena ignoring recalcitrant outlaw gang. Actually I’m sure Barr and Trump’s falsely maligned FBI or CIA personnel would be more than happy to perform the task if the Sgt, isn’t up to the human waste cleanup

3 Likes

The term “constitutional crisis” has been rather loosely bandied about, but so far we have a lot of constitutional confrontations. ^This^ would be the real thing - a true crisis because the Framers never envisioned such defiance and contempt for the rule of law by both the Executive branch and the Senate.

2 Likes

Upvoted for the BR-549 reference. Junior Samples would be so proud of you, Mr Truck.

1 Like

You’re such a pollyanna. Enough with the rainbows & unicorns. /s

As do much of the party rank-and-file.

I’ve been a loyal Democrat for over three decades. I’ve NEVER voted for a Republican, probably never will. If they’ve caused someone like me to question their tactics here then they’re in very deep trouble.

He’s a bigger disappointment to me than the entire Clinton administration was.

I thought I saw last night some mention of Schiff disclosing (next week) some Cohen testimony (to his committee?) which had been given behind closed doors earlier. Anyone have any info on that w/r/t veracity/specifics?

House Democrat’s a lawsuit will take forever, fight defiance with defiant action. Send your Sgt at Arms over, arrest illegally defiant and non compliant Mnuchin and any other recalcitrant non compliant
arrogant Republican subpoena contravent and lock them in Nancy’s office anteroom. Rather than the House waiting around for days or weeks force Trump to spend days or weeks to sue the House to get them out. By then the House may even have their winning lawsuits perfected. Tell Trump if
he wants the cur before, come get them. They’d stay there forever if he had to do that, the fat watery orange coward knows he couldn’t whip Nancy in an intellectual battle or a fair fist fight.

Josh the author, claims to be a muckraker; yet legitimizes the criminal actions of Trump by inventing the term “refusing” a subpoena. Subpoena’s are court orders. They are either obeyed, or not; “not” being a crime. You can move to quash but that was not done here. So the author Mr. anti-corruption turns the Trump White House\Mneuchins commission of a crime, into just a choice they made. The normalization of crimes against the American people, crimes by Donald Trump and company, normalization by TPM.

1 Like

I might grow 3". They held up against 2.4 years of intense digging.

Mnuchin lacks a legitimate human purpose.

1 Like

I look forward to the imposition of fines and/or jail time for the Mnuchbag.

I wonder what Steve’s wife is going to wear when she visits hi in a federal facility that is not a mint?

2 Likes

I’d purely love to see Mnuchin busted for obstruction of justice.

1 Like
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available