Discussion: Top VA Republican Oversaw Yearbook Peppered With Blackface Photos

When there’s a republican in the governor’s seat that’s when enough will be enough with the politics of personal destruction and they were just joking.

6 Likes

I have spent hours laughing about the virulent racists I have seen or met who seem to have spent countless days in tanning beds in order to turn their skin darker.

10 Likes

Hopefully, they don’t settle upon a black woman with a “whitey” tape - you know, like the one Michelle Obama had.

6 Likes

maybe you haven’t heard.

2 Likes

Wonder if Republicans start asking him to step down…ha ha ha…jk! Then again maybe they will to see if they can get 3Ds for 1R!

3 Likes

Uhhh…the president slathers on a thick icing of orange everyday.

4 Likes

I doubt they would have the foresight try to put the Dems in that position. (Plus, it sets a bad precedent for them that would likely punish them 10x over in the long run.)

2 Likes

I might have to scan my HS yearbooks from the late 70s and see if we had any. If we did I don’t remember but would be interesting because the year I graduated '79, was 10 years after it opened as the first integrated HS in a part of the county that also consolidated several towns that previously had their own HS. So there was a lot of tension due to race and also former town rivals and a lot of folks on athletic teams that no longer had a place on the team.

3 Likes

Well, golly gee willikers, it’s almost like there’s a whole a mess of while dudes regardless of party throughout the whole south who were not just overtly racist but considered it quited the guffaw. I for one never saw that coming.

7 Likes

According to the Virginian-Pilot, the yearbook is also peppered with slurs and racist nicknames for various students.

Oh hell yeah I bet it is. That era and that school…hum hum hum!

I imagine VMI was racist sexist whiteman, anti-gay, proChristian stomping grounds!

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter. Republicans don’t care if he wore black face back in the 1980s.

6 Likes

And VMI is the epicenter of that. Doesn’t get more insular and white male. Prying open those yearbooks will require insecticide and rubber gloves, and not just cause they’re collecting dust on the library shelves.

Yearbooks are like the Boomers’ Facebook, just lying there waiting to come back to haunt them. But as we know, it’s ok if you’re a Republican.

3 Likes

Another example of “shit to ignore because high school”

Seriously people when will the notion of “Get a fucking grip!” enter in.

From the article: “Norment ignored reporters’ questions about the revelations Thursday.”

Finally someone has the right approach. Ignore the reporters. Simply refuse to acknowledge that this is an issue.

Is Virginia trying to win a race race against Mississippi ?

There catching up quickly.

2 Likes

I guess that’s the only way out for democrats in Virginia, if republicans don’t have to resign why democrats do? Bad in the face of it, but worse would be to hand the governors office to a republican that will change the laws when he leaves office to weaken his successor.

I was saying yesterday that this is just the beginning and it’s why Northam must go. Republicans can ignore this stuff because it only stands to upset a tiny fraction of their base. Democrats can’t, and we’d be smart to get on the right side of this issue before the floodgates open on the GOP side. While I have no doubt we have a few more Northams here and there, I’m betting they’ve exponentially more.

5 Likes

He wants to be a citizen of Gamma Trianguli VI so he can openly worship Vaal (Vladimir).

4 Likes

I found this in the 1977 yearbook from my all-white, rural northern HS.

9 Likes

you got names?
did any of them become politicians?
just asking because -------------
lol

2 Likes

Republicans have demanded Norment’s resignation? He’s packing his bags? Maybe not. There is a lot more of this out there to be revealed. A friend tells me that there was a blackface event at the University of Vermont many, many years ago.

4 Likes