Discussion: Top US Diplomat For Europe Resigns After 14 Months On The Job

1 Like

You want to maintain trans-Atlantic unity? Trump and his entire White House crew need to leave yesterday.

12 Likes

I feel like you buried the lede. It is news to me that the Trump administration wants to maintain trans-Atlantic unity.

17 Likes

“A blow to the Trump Administration’s Effort to Achieve Transatlantic Unity”

AP has outdone itself.

It would not surprise me if the proverbial lightning bolt came down on THIS editor.

10 Likes

How about replacing him with Hannity?

2 Likes

No worries; we’ll have an acting top diplomat for Europe.

7 Likes

The Trump administration doesn’t give a crap about Transatlantic unity.

7 Likes

Mitchell has been a “valued and effective leader” and a “good friend to our allies and partners in Europe.”

Clearly not aligned with the standards and objectives of the administration.

10 Likes

I feel like you buried the lede. It is news to me that the Trump administration wants to maintain trans-Atlantic unity.

Technically, the Ukraine is a part of Europe. So there’s that.

1 Like

No problem. This is all part of Putin’s plan. His asset in the White House is paying huuuuge dividends. Increased accrual of power by right-wing forces in European democracies is proceeding apace.

Destabilization of the NATO alliance has always been the goal of the Russians. Trump is the historical vehicle for accomplishing that.

13 Likes

Rachel Maddow is the one who needs a new Wall …

4 Likes

Mitchell’s departure comes at a time of fractious relations between Washington and European capitals amid disagreements over trade, defense spending and the U.S. withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal.

No negotiation, no communication. Our way or the highway.

Very bad news. They’re really on a roll.

4 Likes

WASHINGTON (AP) — The top U.S. diplomat for Europe is resigning after only 16 months on the job in a blow to Trump administration efforts to maintain trans-Atlantic unity.

The important part of that is; WASHINGTON (AP) -

They can always be counted upon to toe the WH line on EVERYTHING.

2 Likes

Working for Trump is like riding a ferry on Lake Victoria. Every mile you travel and stay afloat is another mile all you’ve done is avoid inevitable disaster.

5 Likes

The guy must have been qualified for the job, making it easy to find a different job. It’s a lemming thing. The good ones head for the safety of the exits, while the not-so-good ones are swept along to the precipice.

1 Like

FIFY.

3 Likes

Same thing.

3 Likes

Meanwhile, elsewhere…

From NPR Morning Edition today:

Rebranded Trade Deal Gives Member Countries An Edge Over The U.S.

Talks about how the TPP, sans the United States, is turning out to be a Really Good Thing for the 11 countries that decided, you know what, the Yanks don’t want to play, screw 'em, we’re going ahead anyway.

For example, beef exporters from Canada, Australia, and New Zealand are set to more or less completely replace U.S. ranchers in the lucrative Japanese beef market.

Making America Great Again, oh yeah.

2017 will be noted in history books as the end of the United States as the “indispensable nation”.

8 Likes

It kills me that Trump will probably be remembered as the most effective spy in history.

Never mind that everyone knows he is a traitor, that he embodies every vice for which we have a name, that he is disgustingly repulsive, and that he is always the dumbest guy in the room.

He could destroy the global alliance that generations of statesmen (and women) labored to create as a bulwark against another world war.

10 Likes

The Toadglans disadministration is focused on far more important trade issues, to wit: Will Ivankatoinette’s new Chinese trademarks be adequately protected?

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available