Discussion: Three Reasons Bernie Sanders Faces A Tougher Path In 2020 Than In 2016

1 Like

In the 2016 nominating contest, Bernie Sanders only did well in states with caucuses, which are inherently undemocratic. He was unelectable in 2016 and he’s just as unelectable in 2020.

47 Likes

Reason #4

17 Likes

Too old. Too wacky. Not a Democrat.

38 Likes

ABB. Anybody but Bernie.

25 Likes

He would be better off in the elder statesman role, throwing his support behind whomever is best positioned to push his progressive ideals and then using his influence to support the Dem nominee (which I don’t doubt he will do, but I’m not looking forward to the return of the bros).

27 Likes

So if he’s nominated, wotchagunnadoo?

He’s not, nor has he ever been a democrat…
He lost by 20+ points against the weakest candidate the D’s have fielded in history…
He tolerated and encouraged massive racism and misogyny within his campaign and followers…
…as far as I’m concerned, he’s completely disqualified from even being in the field. He should be blocked from any D-originated resources forever.

16 Likes

Joe Biden and Sherrod Brown have not announced that they are running yet.

10 Likes

Neither has Beto.

ETA: or, for that matter, Eric Swalwell, although he’s about to do so.

5 Likes

Neither has Hickenlooper.

2 Likes

He Isn’t The Only True Progressive

I reject the framing of “true progressive” in this and every other cycle. Bernie Sanders and his supporters are no more entitled to declare whether someone is or is not a “true progressive” than they are to declare that chocolate is the “true best flavor” of doughnut.

I understand the point Mr. Joseph is making here, and I agree with him that Sanders’ “lane” is much more crowded this cycle than in 2016. There are several other candidates with relatively similar policy positions, and that will mean his base is much less automatically unified. I will continue to push back on and reject the shorthand of “true X”.

Edit to add: Also, the true best flavor of doughnut is in fact maple. The answer we were looking for was maple.

28 Likes

Sorry, but the Democrats have had way weaker candidates than Hillary Clinton, just look at McGovern in '72 or Mondale in '84 to see what a real trouncing looks like. And neither of them had the Russians helping the Republicans in those races.

36 Likes

et. al.

1 Like

C’mon, in the hypothetical nightmare final primary battle between heterodox fringe wacko Tulsi Gabbard and Bernie Sanders, pulling the lever for Bernie Sanders is very easy! :slight_smile:

13 Likes

Bernie had his chance. Bernie hasn’t bothered to register as a Democrat … why? As a life-long Democratic Party member, I am not okay this time around with Bernie–or anyone–being a non-Democrat and running for our party’s Presidential nomination.

37 Likes

McGovern. Sigh. Good man, bad candidate.

He said: “I wanted to run for president in the worst way, and I did.”

10 Likes

Neither am I, but better he runs as a Dem than as a third party spoiler.

12 Likes

I’ve not forgotten that after Clinton got the majority of delegates, Sanders withheld his support and endorsement for months,

He also promptly left the Democratic party after the 2016 election. A true leader would have stayed with the Democrats to do the hard work rather than pushing it off on other people

He will never get my vote in any pirmary election. I hope he’s knocked out hard and fast, preferably before Iowa and New Hampshire.

49 Likes

This.Too bad Hillary Clinton didn’t do so after 2008.

3 Likes