Discussion: This Was Probably Not The Reaction Bill De Blasio Was Hoping For

okay, aside from just De Blasio I have a question that I have been thinking about. About half or more of the Dems running for president had to know that their chances are really slim. Right? So…then why do it? Is there some side benefit to running for pres, that I don’t know about? What’s the appeal? Some of these people have a decent shot at other elected offices. Why throw it away to lose miserably in the primary? What am I missing?

16 Likes

The funniest thing I heard so far today was Bill de Blasio for President. Nobody else would think that being Mayor of New York City was a part-time job.

3 Likes

Yeah, well, TPM conflating a Murdoch-owned pro-Trump anti-Dem/liberal tabloid’s predictable tribalist attack on a Dem/liberal candidate as somehow legitimate criticism of that Dem/liberal candidate isn’t what I was hoping for.

16 Likes

These are not the 'roids you’re looking for.

3 Likes

just consider the off the charts levels of arrogance and narcissism that you consider being mayor of new York fucking city boring and so decide to run for president…

goddamn, I hate him. before I just ignored him – like the rest of the city.

5 Likes
The funniest thing I heard so far today was Bill de Blasio for President. Nobody else would think that being Mayor of New York City was a part-time job.

Mayor John V. Lindsay got much the same reaction when he ran for president in 1972.

2 Likes

Evidently de Blasio should’ve announced it where he would’ve received a more predictable reaction, like on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

3 Likes

If l think about Mayor Pete… he may have made himself a good candidate for Senate on a few years and opened a huge fundraising Avenue.

Others are gunning for VP or a cabinet position.

5 Likes

He’s pulling a “Marco Rubio, 2016” where Lil’ Marco announced to the world that he hated being a Senator(!), couldn’t get anything done and THAT’S why he wanted to be POTUS. Bad look then, bad look now. (DeB should’ve saved his fire for running for Senate or Governor. now he’s shot himself in both feet on that front).

3 Likes

1 Like

Maybe…he’ll end up as HUD Secretary.

2 Likes

Seems like a whole lot of (white, straight) guys git the smw assignment : What I did on My Summer Vacation. Soon enough they will run into real candidates like Warren, Sanders or Harris (I still think Biden is an accident waiting to happen) on the debate stage and then the jig will be up.
Booker has a chance if the mainstream corporate Dems regain the upper hand, Beto is Done-O, Mayor Pete is a niche guy. Klobuchar? Needs to catch fire, same for Gillibrand.

I really think no one outside of the 5 (Warren, Harris, Sanders, Booker and Biden) will have staying power. The debates are the place where Biden and Sanders have to prove they can solidify or hold support and the other 3 have to begin to emerge. Depending on the questions, questionsers and format it could go either way, but I like Warren and her bold and straight talking style.

Looking forward to them bigly.

5 Likes

Anthony Wiener, we’re looking at you!

2 Likes

He was watching you first. Never did put that tape over your PC’s camera aperture, did you?

8 Likes

Also, isn’t it the case that twitter (cited by this article) is not an unbiased sample of popular opinion?

That said, this is an ill-advised decision. But who knows? Perhaps all the other candidates will be bodily assumed into the firmament in the very near future.

8 Likes

For those of us who don’t live anywhere near the NY metro area, what is the context upon which this guy is getting insanely mocked and pilloried?

5 Likes

No one. No one should pull a Marco Rubio. Oh, the dignity fail.

5 Likes

Speaking of political ambition.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D6tFotjU8AE3Gum?format=png&name=small

This is Howard Schultz level of cluelessness and self-absorption.

Perhaps they should form a club.

4 Likes