Discussion: This Paul Ryan Video Sure Looks A Lot Like A 2016 Campaign Ad

Meanwhile, our first Secretary of State, Thomas Jefferson became President of the US. As did James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams and Martin Van Buren. Granted, the nominating process was different back then, but its still worth noting.

Hillary Clinton, as former first lady of Arkansas and the United States, also has two elections to the Senate in her background, winning both times by double digits, the second time by a huge margin. So essentially, she’s in a league of her own. If he gets picked by his party elites, it’ll be the battle between cheese and a fine wine…(and no, I don’t mean whine for all those Hillary haters out there).

4 Likes

That’s essentially how he became Speaker of the House for his party.
Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Except on a larger scale.
And it should be pointed out, he still can’t get shit accomplished as it is right now.

4 Likes

I’m not disagreeing with you because what you’re saying makes sense in theory. In reality, he’ll lose - by how much I don’t know. At some point, he has to go back to his “day job” and if he gets little respect from krazy kaucus NOW, imagine how they’d treat him after he’s a two time loser. I would think that self-preservation would kick in at some point.

2 Likes

Or maybe the difference between Georgi Vodka and Perrier Jouet?

Garfield statue, Piatt Park, Cincinnati, OH
https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7102/7121895657_5f926c088a_b.jpg

2 Likes

Basil seems like a nice enough fellow but how will he break up the banks?

1 Like

The story continues with:

Donald Trump declares that the establishment is stealing the election from the guy who came in with the most delegates (ironically, he’d be right for once). He runs as a third party candidate, or just takes his toys and goes home and tacitly encourages his followers to do the same. That 35-40% of the vote is joined by the thick slice of the Republican base offended by the notion of someone who didn’t receive a single primary vote getting the nomination.

The GOP get’s about 50% of its base out to the polls in November.

Hillary Clinton wins the largest Presidential landslide in the history of American politics.

The Republican party ceases to be a thing…

2 Likes

@daveyjones64
This is the sign Trumpistas are holding at his rallies. They will not go quietly and acquiesce to the notion of a Ryan becoming the nominee. Also, here is new analysis that shows that trump’s path to 1237 is doable, and I cite just this from a long report

It is certainly narrow, but it may require him to do only two challenging things: win two tossup states, Indiana and California. There’s an argument he’s currently favored in both.

4 Likes

But it’s worth noting that the Speakership isn’t an elected position. It’s decided by politicians. Getting general election voters to support this kind of back room politicing is a lot harder than getting politicians to do so.

4 Likes

I agree…I was just posting the basic concept of his strategy.

It won’t get to that point, and in all liklihood, but Trump and Cruz delegates are going to approve rules that will prevent someone like Ryan becoming the nominee…ie, Rule 40(b). Its in both of their interests to lock that down, both collectively and individually.

If Trump doesn’t win the first vote (and while the odds are slipping, they still favor that happen) and Cruz doesn’t win the second vote,and more importantly, third vote (cause a lot of delegates are still bound for the second vote…none are after that), then the serious arm twisting, deal making, horse trading starts…and the republican party’s embarrassment goes through the roof as its call captured on national television. The meta message will be severe…united strong Democratic party all singing from the same page…disjointed angry republicans who can’t even pick a nominee.

4 Likes

Garfield Park, Indianapolis

2 Likes

I think I’ll watch the show via television from the safety of anywhere that’s not likely to get burned down in the ensuing riots…

2 Likes

"There was no shortage of political observers online who pointed out the video looked a lot like a campaign ad.

Everybody reads something into anything these days. Paul Ryan is no dummy. He knows his party is going to get creamed in the 2016 election. There is no way in hell he will run for President and ruin his chances in the future. He has already been on one losing campaign and took the Speaker job with a lot of reluctance. I can’t see this coming to pass no matter how many people think so.

2 Likes

Beautiful. I didn’t think Indiana had anything close to this nice. I know that is a gross assumption on my part

“This Paul Ryan Video Sure Looks A Lot Like A 2016 Campaign Ad”

Hmmm…

This Paul Ryan Video Sure Looks A Lot Like A 2020 Campaign Ad

FIFY

2 Likes

This ad is very revealing, but not in the way Ryan intended. The only person of color I saw in the entire ad was the guy standing by the door in the very beginning. Nobody in the audience. Speaks volumes. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

See what I wrote below in response to @brooklyndweller.

Odds are still that Trump will have the delegates for the first vote. But those odds are slipping after Wisconsin and with all the finagling going on in the delegate selection processes which continue through April and May (not the elections, but the selection of WHO will be the delegates)

1 Like

I agree with you but, then again, I’m looking at the situation as I would analyze it. And that is, he’s never had a private sector job (save for the Weinermobile thing) so his resume is kinda sparse. If he’s looking towards K Street, I would think that companies would want a lobbyist who, you know, politicians actually listen to and have some respect for. Just seems like throwing good money after bad for a company to put money on a two time loser that no one really wants to deal with.

And dems will be putting up ads saying, “The gop elites stole this nomination from YOU, warriors for trump!!!” It will be like the backseat of a station wagon on a family vacation, circa 1969, and my brother is bored, and my sister is easily infuriated.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available