Discussion: The Other Indiana Law: The First Woman Jailed For 'Feticide'

Discussion for article #234986

Talk about punishment for a thought crime.

5 Likes

The miscarriage to be concerned about here is of justice. The American Taliban is legislating it’s way into our lives.

I’d hope that some companies and governments would sanction Indiana because of this law, which to me is even a worse violation of human rights than the anti-gay law.

Edit: There’s a somewhat more detailed article about the case in the NYT. This article gives the facts that the prosecution’s pathologist concluded that the fetus was born alive (based on a discredited test, and disputed by the defense pathologist), and was 25 to 30 weeks old (again, disputed by the other pathologist). Doesn’t change my opinion of the case, but I’d like to have been told more of the background in this article.

9 Likes

“…feticide…”

Where every failure to deliver is a woman’s criminal fault.

8 Likes

This is just awful. American Taliban at work indeed.

9 Likes

Beautiful thoughts well crafted. Thank you for sharing.
I won’t get into the accuracy of the politics. I think most here share your concerns.

1 Like

Vile is a good word for this. Shades of Margaret Atwood’s “The Handmaid’s Tale” of women being forced to give birth by the State. Freedom!!!

1 Like

Because Dr Doug McGuire who oversaw her in the hospital is a pro-life OB/GYN wanted her jailed for putting the dead baby into a dumpster . Google Dr Jen Gunter for the facts of the case .

1 Like

Just like the anti-gay law, this never happened in Indiana, either!

What’s wrong with you people! Why are you paying attention to what we do? WHY ARE YOU PICKING ON US CHRISTIANS!

2 Likes

And sadly, GOP lege’s in other states will see the Indiana law as something to emulate.

1 Like

Other people have said it better, but these cases are attempts to simply outlaw all contraceptives. If they can’t get their way outright,they’ll do it incrementally, little by little through case law. They aren’t the pro-life movement they’re the forced-birth/anti-woman movement.

Run down on all the perversions of justice used to sentence Patel (thanks ottnott).

Link to contraceptives are abortion and other moral hand-wringing, for anyone new to that argument.

2 Likes

She is guilty of LWV as well.

LivingWhileVagina’ed.

1 Like

This is why just softening up the anti-gay laws in Indiana doesn’t let them off of the hook. They are worse than just Gay bashing hypocrites, they want to force their beliefs onto anyone and everything that isn’t in line with their personal ideologies.

The religious bent, homophobic fear and woman issues are just like the Sharia, Muslim, Taliban, whatever that they claim to be against.
Christianity is a terror organization, that just can’t admit it.

1 Like

Fetal Position-

from the series, “Churches ad hoc”
www.efn.org/~hkrieger/church.htm

Sweet Jesus, what have we become? Are we a nation of monsters?

1 Like

So much for a smaller, less intrusive government.

5 Likes

I remember that in the eighties when the Congress passed an anti-hate-crime law, the first person to be tried under the new statute was an African American in Michigan.

Now this poor daughter of parents who are from India under the Indiana’s law.

Some white people want to make sure that the others understand white racism as clearly as possible.

2 Likes

Here’s where the whole rhetorical argument manifests itself into some poor unfortunates’ reality. The sole purpose of laws in Indiana seems to be to criminalize being a non-compliant woman. Second purpose :criminalize being a poor woman of color. Net Net: more fodder for the prison-industrial complex.

That’s creepy that they would prosecute her. No one knows what actually happened.

2 Likes

It’s creepier that she’s in jail now with actual criminals.

1 Like