Discussion: The ‘Lodestar’ Theory

1 Like

If I had written it, the tell-tale word would have been “pant-load”.

31 Likes

Pence cannot be fired, only impeached

That may be true… but let’s remember here that Putin put Trump in office and he (Putin) has his ways

6 Likes

Regardless whether it’s pence or anyone else, it is so emblematic of today’s gopers that this would be published anonymously. You see tough talk from people like Flake as he heads out the door or mealy-mouthed platitudes from Collins who is like the old retiree falling for every scam out there (possibly a trump university alumna). So of course the author hides their identity while trying to portray themself as some kind of underground warrior saving the nation.

More jabber from gutless, amoral cowards. As the saying goes, “Action talks, bullshit walks!”

16 Likes

So it was somebody from the speechwriting pool that Pence uses. Besides, it’s at least a bit better than cynosure.

2 Likes

Does the “lodestar” theory take into account that the VP is a craven bootlicker?

15 Likes

Trump needs to start measuring out the strawberries. That’s a fool-proof method for finding the traitor.

9 Likes

Could be he’s just stage-licking; the tongue never actually making full contact

8 Likes

Pence may be a genius playing stupid, but I still thinks he’s just that.

My bet is on “Mad Dog” Matthis…

5 Likes

The deep state…hired by Donald Trump.

12 Likes

“To cover my tracks, I usually pay attention to other staffers’ idioms and use that in my background quotes,” the official told Axios. “That throws the scent off me.”

We had a fun talk about this yesterday. Patterns of speech and writing aren’t like fingerprints—not if you do it for a living. Ghostwriters copy their client’s verbal mannerisms, as do speechwriters and pretty much everyone else in the communications business. People who write for a living can’t help but note the patterns other people use. The West Wing has hundreds of people working in it and a good percentage of them are professional communicators and have done a ton of writing all their lives. Any of them would have noticed that Pence says “lodestar” a lot, and might throw it in as a joke precisely because he can’t be fired and he’s the most amazing toady who ever lived.

28 Likes

Pence’s op-ed should read, “hurry up and impeach the prick already, so I can bring an end to this bullshit.”

1 Like

This.

Just Shut Up and Quit

8 Likes

My money’s on Coats. If i was writing this book, Coats wrote the Op-Ed and used certain words to setup Pence to drive division between Trump/Pence and insure that Pence won’t be able to succeed Trump should he retire, get impeached or 25th enacted.

5 Likes

From Esquire, says it for me:

“Enough of this stuff. Stand up in the light of day and tell your stories. All of them, right from the beginning. Admit that what you’re confronting now is the end result of 40 years of conservative politics and all the government-is-the-problem malfeasance you’ve been imbibing since you were wingnuts in swaddling. The fire’s licking at your ankles at last. Come out of the cupboards, you boys and girls. None of you are heroes.”

32 Likes
9 Likes

Remember what Woodward’s book has to say about Trump’s people being constantly at each other’s throats.

Salting this op ed with word choices, etc. used by his or her rivals would be a good way for someone in the administration to knife their coworkers in the back while trying to build a narrative that they’re supposedly some sort of hero for participating in Trump damage control.

7 Likes

If this sort of thing interests you, this is a great podcast on the subject of using data to identify authors.

Shakespeare and Marlowe: Attributing ‘Henry VI’ Authorship

3 Likes

Seconded

1 Like

It’s a pretty damned arrogant rat who thinks he’s gonna save the ship from sinking in the first place.

3 Likes