Discussion: The Hidden History Of Juneteenth

Texas history always cracks me up, and not in a good way. It’s a lesson in White Supremacy and greed. Mississippi’s declaration of secession clearly stated that slavery existed for an economic reason- the land was bountiful, but because of the heat and Sun, White people needed someone more suited to topical conditions to work. So the Mexican Government giving Americans the opportunity to buy acres of cheap land was enough for them to give up their US citizenship and move to Mexico. Since the Mexican Government wasn’t a fan of slavery, the former Americans lead a rebellion in Mexico. The Republic of Texas was formed but the former Americans wanted America to bring them back to America. The Republic of Texas only allowed freed Black people to stay in Texas if the Legislature approved them being there. When Texas was annexed, it came in as a slave state, and rebelled again rather than give up slavery. It’s no wonder slave-owning Texans kept the end of the Civil War secret- they needed the labor.

1 Like

No, it’s just a running together of “June” and “nineteenth.”

Slightly meta: a rare critique from me of the TPM front page headline editors.

Juneteenth history was/is not hidden from very large segments of the US population, any more than was Tulsa 1921. In addition to history nerds like me, Black Americans have much wider knowledge of Black history than middle-class white folks (also me).

2 Likes

And, whether they knew they were still being enslaved or not, I would think they were usually simply impotent to affect a change in their condition.

I live in Florida, our GOVERNOR has forbidden the teaching of or books related to anyhting to do with black people or race. HE is campaigning fr POTUS. It is weird that in a state where people are flying into deep space and thinking about colonizing distant planets…that we have a GOVERNOR who is so blatantly racist, we have two mind sets here…one that looks to the future and the other that is trying to resurrect a past that only includes certain people.i have lived here for 70 years and i have never known such depressing times…why do some Republicans do so much damage to people? do they just enjoy being cruel and mean-spirited???

2 Likes

I was born in the mid-60s and raised in Oklahoma, Louisiana, and Texas, and as a “science nerd” I came late to being a bit of a “history nerd.” It perturbs me to no end that I only became aware of the details of the Tulsa Race Massacre less than a handful of years ago. It’s no wonder today’s (and yesterday’s) conservative regressives try so hard to subvert accurate education of our children.

I know there are plenty of minutiae that should be left to grad school, but Tulsa should be a significant topic in all high school and college courses covering post-Reconstruction US history.

https://www.tulsahistory.org/exhibit/1921-tulsa-race-massacre/

3 Likes

I think I may be stating the obvious, but at the most basic level employment is more important to most people than boycotting and having no income… And besides, Austin is a growing, Blue-voting metropolis – it just has a rotten core at the Statehouse.

2 Likes

From ruby-red far NW TX: can confirm.

3 Likes

Although I don’t know the man, I would feel horrible if I were Beto. He is the antithesis of a man like Abbott, and he was not the recipient of the help I thought he would get.

3 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available