Discussion: The Hidden History Of Juneteenth

Discussion for article #237627

Thanks. Nice to see one of my former history professors, Dr. Randolph Campbell at UNT, mentioned in the notes.

14 Likes

Thank you for this piece. Timely and worth reading indeed.

22 Likes

I like the idea of re-appropriating Juneteenth as a celebration a reconstruction. Unfortunately I’ve seen Juneteenth parties in Texas used as an excuse for people to drag out their lawn jockeys and other racist paraphernalia and just letting their racist freak flags fly.

14 Likes

I learned something new today. Thanks for this article.

22 Likes

Exceptional!!
A great article to remind us Americans where we came from and who we really are.

9 Likes

Wonderful article. I do have to take exception with some points raised early on though.

The idea that any such proclamation would still need to be issued in June 1865 – two months after the surrender at Appomattox - forces us to rethink how and when slavery and the Civil War really ended.

The idea that Mississippi had to repeal chattel slavery 150 years after the Emancipation Proclamation forces us to think about how difficult it is to drum the idea into the heads of people who want to continue. The fact that the Walls family was held in slavery until 1961 forces us to think about how easy it was to keep supposedly former slaves ignorant. The Civil War may have officially ended, but it manifests itself in the daily worship of a resurrected Dixie in far too much of this country.

14 Likes

I grew up in a very white Houston suburb in the 70s and 80s. For context, it was Tom DeLay’s district. We learned about Juneteenth in school. Since the school year ended in May, there was no issue of celebrating it or not. But the history isn’t quite a secret, even in Texas. I’m sure there was more gloss about the invading Northern aggression army, of course, but I do recall it Juneteenth always being celebrated in the city and recognized by politicians.

8 Likes

The basic idea was that the Emancipation Proclamation was a war measure that resulted in the end of slavery in the areas applicable (so not a place like Kentucky, which did not formally secede though battles were fought there) and formally went into effect when Union armies controlled an area. So, it took until then for an army to formally control Texas. Until then, slavery still was in effect. Post-war litigation so held.

The 13th Amendment ended slavery for the whole country in December 1865. At least formally. The realistic end would be a long time coming and some would say not quite complete.

7 Likes

Very, very interesting. Thank you.

McPherson (? or Catton?) describes a signficant element (Corps, perhaps, under Sheridan?) of Sherman’s Army of the West marching into Washington at the end of their long walk, pacing with their super-long stride in the great victory parade of the Grand Army of the Republic, straight to Union Station to begin an expedition to South Texas where their exercises chased the French out of Mexico and hapless Emperor Maximilian to the firing squad.

I don’t know how long the “demonstrations” lasted, but they were carried out by a strong army of veteran Unionists, and must have provided substantial, if temporary, steel to the June 19 Proclamation.

Of course they went away, and the plutocrats were still there.

4 Likes

I agree with all the commenters who were informed by Professor Downs’ article. What I took away from reading this is that the Emancipation Proclamation could declare slavery dead but “slavery” lived on as long as it remained alive in the hearts and minds of slave owners and their descendants. Not having legal ownership status ended only the practice of owning slaves as property, but the belief in white superiority was barely diminished in the minds of so many to this day.

12 Likes

More reason for black history to be taught in every classroom.

14 Likes

Excellent article. Knowledge is like a jagged saw edge … when you think you have attained it you realize you know nothing and have to start the climb again…

6 Likes

A great reminder that the South needed to be forced to accept the idea that all men are equal. And frankly still needs to be forced.

7 Likes

Yup. Indeed, it’s American history, every bit as much as anything or anyone else that’s been an essential part of the development of our country. And far more consequential than much else we’re taught.

3 Likes

It’s a little surprising that the author mentions Eric Foner but doesn’t cite his book, Reconstruction: America’s Unfinished Revolution, at the end. I’m in the middle of reading it and highly recommend it. The strange trajectory of the country through the post-Civil War period is a fascinating subject that usually gets glossed over in school.

7 Likes

No kidding. I looked a my kids’ syllabi and there was plenty about the Civil War but nothing about Reconstruction. It’s like American history doesn’t exist between 1787 and 1861, or 1865 and 1917.

11 Likes

Good article. As a Texan, I was aware of a ‘separate holiday for colorred people’, but I confess this is the first Ive learned of Juneteenth history. Thanks.

5 Likes

Why this isn’t taught in every school in Texas is an obscenity.

6 Likes

This great, great article (Pulitzer for commentary nominee) also reminds us that other Amendments, and other Laws, have been routinely ignored or literally overturned through aggressive resistance. I am thinking in this case of the 24th Amendment prohibiting a poll tax which the south has overturned through laws mandating Voter IDs that cost money. The Civil War is still being fought. It can still be lost. Right now, it is being lost. Let none of us pretend otherwise.

10 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available