Discussion: Texas Set To Execute Man Who Maintains Innocence Tonight

Discussion for article #237088

God damn I thought is was Bud Melman at first.

Why on Earth do Americans think the only way to solve problems is by killing people?

They killed the Native Americans, then they killed thousands of black slaves on the way over and while in chains, (and continue to up until now in disproportionate numbes…and…yes I know this guy here is white.), and they killed the English and they killed each other by the millions in a CIvil War, and they killed millions of innocent people in Hiroshima to end a war.

Americans think the only solution to a nasty problem is to kill people. Well, to some of our neighbors on this planet, in places like Canada, England, Japan, even Germany and Italy, (they don’t have a death penalty in any of those countries), that’s what foreigners think of American justice.

Although I firmly believe it’s already happened, likely many times, sooner or later we will see proof that some state, quite likely Texas, has executed an innocent person. We can’t give back 20 or 30 years for false imprisonment, but at least the victim gets to walk out of prison. Killing them solves nothing. It’s a failure in every way. It costs more than a true life sentence, it does NOT serve as a deterrent, and it’s barbaric. It’s also irreversible.

I have no idea if this man is truly innocent or guilty…but I’d much prefer to see him sit in prison for the remainder of his life than take this step. If the relatives of the victims feel better when this is over, consider how they might feel if they celebrated killing the wrong man.

1 Like