Discussion: Texas Governor Wants Former Rep. Blake Farenthold To Pay For Special Election

1 Like

Nice !

5 Likes

Every day lately I am getting a fresh cup of steaming hot Schadenfreude. Today’s no exception.

Ol’ DuckyPJs doesn’t look very happy, does he?

AHHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! My cup runneth over…

11 Likes

:blush:

2 Likes

Abbott sent Farenthold a letter detailing his demands on Wednesday. “While you have publicly offered to reimburse the $84,000 in taxpayer funds you wrongly used to settle a sexual harassment claim, there is no legal recourse requiring you to give that money back to Congress,” he wrote. “This seat must be filled, and the counties and taxpayers in the 27th Congressional District should not again pay the price for your actions.”

3 Likes

WHAT? cut the crap Governor - yes the guy is a dirtbag - but just run the election - there is no basis to make this request - you are simply grandstanding - or do you you really think that you hold a royal position and get to preside over all matters and pass judgment as to the ‘worthiness’ of resignations or vacancies - if a congressional rep died - would you ask their estate to shoulder the cost of the election? if they resigned to take a university presidency ? if they were in ill health?

How about simply follow the law - and not make self-serving publicity seeking demands

23 Likes

Not much I agree with Abbott about, but I’m on board here.

3 Likes

He is just a nowhere man
Running now in nowhere land
Wearing all his duck PJs for nobody

6 Likes

Too bad Farenthold doesn’t have his own fixer who will take out a home equity loan and make all his legal troubles go away!

5 Likes

The voters knew Farenthold was a shady character when they elected him, they deserve to pay for the special election.

8 Likes

I could actually get behind this as a general rule – if you’re forced from your elected position due to unmistakably unethical behavior or serious scandal, you get to pay for the election to replace you.

Of course there’d need to be some checks and balances built into that… not sure how I’d handle it in a robust fashion.

(How much does it cost to run a full nation-wide presidential election? Just asking for a friend.)

6 Likes

Seems fair since he doesn’t want to pay the 84k took from the taxpayers

Texas Governor Wants Former Rep. Blake Farenthold To Pay For Special Election

Yeah, because Texan GOP politicians are so honorable and stuff…

7 Likes

Hilarious! Especially since Abbott typically reserves his opprobrium only for Democrats.

4 Likes

What’s more that was what they liked about him, he was so disgusting that he made “libs head explode”, that was the only qualification needed in his district. Screw them!

9 Likes

Damn, he’s aged and put on a lot of weight since he won the Puhlitzer!

4 Likes

They will, of course. That’s how elections work.

Utter bullshit. Law says seat doesn’t require a special election but the Texas GOP wants one. Now Abbott is trying to grandstand about the cost with a toothless letter probably written by his press secretary.

7 Likes

So how much does it cost to stage a congressional district election? I’d imagine it is more than $84k.

Farenthold isn’t paying a dime for any of this and I’m guessing he already had a DC job lined up.

So Abbott created the need for the special election by using unrelated “emergency powers” for Hurricane Harvey. And then has the gall to ask Pajama Boy to pay for it. Fat chance! PB is not paying the $84K and Abbott thinks he can get $200K? All a publicity stunt. I don’t think any Texan will be fooled.

4 Likes