Discussion: Tens Of Thousands Of Los Angeles Teachers Strike After Contract Talks Fail

1 Like

Was Trump negotiating this one, too?

3 Likes

It’s interesting that the “Real” Democrat and former Obama Administration Education Secretary Arne Duncan is supporting the school district administration and Betsy DeVos, while the “Fake” Democrat Bernie Sanders is publically and vocally supporting the teachers…

3 Likes

Declining enrollments but an Increase in administrative positions. The district is top heavy. Many fewer nurses and librarians in schools. AP article simplified the reason for the strike. My son, daughter-in-law and granddaughter are teachers but not in LA USD. May the strike end soon. Gavin, be bold. You can help resolve this,

7 Likes

No one here gave him credit for goading Amazon and Disney into raising their wages either with his proposed legislation.

2 Likes

Drink!

4 Likes

Hey, if that’s what it takes to ignore reality, then here’s mud in your eye…

(For the record, not my words; I don’t control who puts what in the headlines.)

Have a cousin in the strike.

She was not looking forward to it, but felt it was really important to address class sizes and protect against privatization.

6 Likes

Understood. I did k-10 in that system, it’s an important story. The framing does it no favors.

4 Likes

Privatization of public schools is disgraceful. A number of private charter schools in the LA District have closed, had administrators who used the money to enrich themselves, etc. If there is a buck to be made, there will be those who will attempt to steal it.

7 Likes

AP conveniently buries the privatization in the closing grafs, completely punts on any of the financial stuff (which a good reporter with a spreadsheet might need an hour or two to at least have a decent idea who’s lying.) They led with the half-point difference in raises over the life of the contract, which is obviously irrelevant, but to the uninitiated casts the teachers in a bad light.

5 Likes

Charter schools are one of the biggest scams in the nation

5 Likes

I doubt you’d find any love for Duncan from any TPM commenter.

Yep. Staff a school cheaply by giving crappy benefits, siphon off the least-costly students from the public schools, let the public schools handle variation in student population while you can admit for 100% space utilization year after year, invest in (or rent) only enough physical plant to impress parents rather than to fully address education needs, make good bucks if your marketing is effective enough, and close down with little warning and dump the kids back in the public system if you don’t get the numbers.

Innovation in education is a good thing, and charter schools have helped to motivate districts to work a little harder and faster at it. However, that’s been an unintended byproduct in most cases. Most often, charter schools have been enabled by and operated by people who want to weaken or eliminate the public option.

2 Likes

Ah , Dumbo*s keeping his end of the bargain - bankrupting America .

Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available