Discussion: Ted Cruz Jumps On The Repeal And Delay Train

1 Like

Well, that’s a waffle if I ever heard one.

Jerk.

4 Likes

https://img.wonkette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/nydn.png

9 Likes

Let’s just blow it up; what could possibly go wrong?? The real question is, did Ted Cruz ever have even a hint of a soul? What a miserable little man…

8 Likes

A complete repeal cannot go the reconciliation path, which means they need 60 votes. Right now they can’t get to 50, and a complete repeal will lose other votes.

Unless something dramatic happens during this recess (and all indications are, its breaking against McConnell so far), I think this thing is either dead, or McConnell is going to be forced back to the drawing board and start over with something entirely different…which will consume even more time.

6 Likes

The Most Beloved Teabagger Republican Senator in Congress supporting the Most Beloved Of All Republican Death Care Plans.
So much winning! Why, I may have to retire to my fainting divan! Move over, Miss Lindsey!

4 Likes

Last week, Trump backed a plan proposed by Sen. Ben Sasse (R-NE) to pass a bill to completely repeal Obamacare immediately with a deadline to replace the law within a year.

After eight years of nothing, I’m sure a one year deadline will get it done. I suppose people should plan on avoiding all healthcare activities during that year?

2 Likes

Did we REALLY expect anything less from a guy whose father assassinated JFK? (Just ask Trump and Putin ball-licker Oliver Stone about it. They’ll back me up!)

4 Likes

A face only a motherfucker could love.

3 Likes

OF COURSE, he did…Teddie is nothing if not an opportunistic fk…

1 Like

“If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.”

3 Likes

I think you’re spot on.

I think McConnell’s beginning to understand that old saying: “be careful what you wish for.”

3 Likes

I doubt they want to just repeal because of the job losses that will occur. I figured maybe about 2 million jobs lost a year ago with a full repeal, this article puts it at 2.6 million jobs lost:
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/07/the-cost-of-obamacare-repeal-2-6-million-jobs-lost/

I don’t usually follow George Will and find him to be as nauseating as David Brooks. That said, he may, and I emphasize may, be onto something with an article he penned a while back:

An excerpt:

Perhaps for policy reasons, and certainly for political reasons, it is impossible to unwind reliance on employer-provided insurance. But this fact, combined with the “pre-existing conditions” consensus, means that henceforth the health care debate will be about not whether there will be a thick fabric of government subsidies, mandates and regulations, but about which party will weave the fabric.

So, “repeal and replace” will be “tweak and move on.” And even if the tweaks constitute significant improvements, Obama will have been proved right when, last October, he compared the ACA to a “starter home.

2 Likes

Nah same old Allan Grayson plan
Don’t get sick
If you get sick Die
Easy Peasy

1 Like

FuckFace indeed

I think they will figure out some way that a repeal bill could be considered under reconciliation (e.g. the fact that it kills medicaid expansion and a bunch of taxes) and use that to try and threaten the remaining sane republicans into voting for the other dog’s breakfast. Might not work, but it would be trademark McConnell. Or just ignore the Byrd Rule entirely. Who would stop him?

1 Like

If they didn’t need the money for tax cuts, they’d just fix Obamacare, slap a Trumpcare sticker on it, and have their media machine sell it to the rubes as full repeal. The ACA is a Republican plan anyway. But the tax cuts are non-negotiable, so they’re stuck.

3 Likes

If this legislation fails, and McConnell is forced to go with a “Fix Obamacare with Democrats” path, that will be the clearest sign that he will not be running for re-election in 2020.

There will be no “Repeal and Delay” approach…they can’t get Repeal done through reconciliation, and McConnell has no stomach for the Delay part, either…that only guarantees that healthcare dominates rest of the legislative session…probably right through the midterms.

This is a hill that McConnell didn’t want to fight on, let alone die on, and I believe he would have been perfectly happy with this thing dying in the House and going with a “tweak and move on” strategy. But that shipped sailed. He knows its incredibly unpopular and down right stupid in terms of electoral strategies; that’s why he has being trying to do it fast and in secret. It wasn’t even a gamble to push it back beyond the current recess, it was forced upon him because he didn’t have the votes. And he won’t have the votes when the Senate reconvenes.

4 Likes

Cruz? What me worry?

I can always fall back on my Cubanadian Health Care Coverage.

1 Like

Not anymore. He relinquished his “gee news to me” Canadian citizenship.

I believe the Canadians now have a bank holiday on that day…

3 Likes