Discussion: Ta-Nehisi Coates Hits Back At McConnell Dismissing Slavery Reparations

1 Like

Coates is an excellent writer and I’m glad he’s able to get his voice on the record.

21 Likes

Said the Turtle in reply. . .

4 Likes

“As you grow older, you’ll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but let me tell you something and don’t you forget it—whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, how rich he is, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash”
― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

29 Likes

Does Mitch really want to try to match wits with Coates? He doesn’t know what hit him.

9 Likes

I’m liking that there’s more of a focus on McConnell, since he does his best (and most evil) work in the shadows. The Dem pres candidates should take the baton from Stewart and Coates and keep hitting him head on.

23 Likes

“We’ve tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war, by passing landmark civil rights legislation. We elected an African-American president,” McConnell said.

Wait – we didn’t elect Barack Obama because he was the best candidate, but to absolve America of slavery?

So McConnell’s arguing the ultimate reparation is putting African-Americans in charge of government.

Has he cleared this with the GOP base?

30 Likes

We elected a black president. Who I obstructed and filibustered over 450 times. And I refused to schedule a vote on his rightful Supreme Court nominee. And I refused his request to declare State election systems critical Homeland infrastructure because of, get this, States’ Rights.

So, in my opinion, we don’t need no stinkin discussion of reparations.

32 Likes

Hey Mitch you really, really shouldn’t have gone there. Now hopefully the moral arc of the universe bends towards justice, and McTurtle just can’t handle the slope.

5 Likes

McConnell is an easy target but Mr. Coates has risen high by talent and opportunity. Explain reparations to immigrants and their offspring who fought wars and worked to build the country. Also a bad issue for democrats.

2 Likes

I think Mitch has become drunk on his own power and more than a little cocky. He’s gotten into the wrong side of a back and forth with John Stewart regarding our heros on that hellish day; he, along with his wife, have a corruption scandal brewing that should make waves right around election season; he needlessly (as there’s no pending open seat) and hypocritically said he would seat a SCOTUS nominee for Trump, after obviously denying Garland. He’s also singlehandedly preventing the safeguarding of our elections.

I think he’s finally ripe to be taken down. I hope Dems have a strong nominee in Kentucky and support that person lavishly.

15 Likes

Slavery doesn’t equal immigration. Two separate issues.

Billions have been paid out to the ultra wealthy but reparations to the people who helped to build this forsaken country with their lives? Nope.

15 Likes

Elaine has one, Trump has the other.

2 Likes

And now Mitch wants to get even.

McConnell’s full statement:

So, to recap the GOP position:

1. Shelf-life disqualifies the issue.

2. President Obama’s election expunges the original sin of slavery.

3. Reviewing historical courthouse, commercial, and genealogical records is just too hard.

4. Generation after generation of slaves were merely “immigrants”.

5. Five centuries of owning human beings as property to be raped, beaten, and killed with impugnity is equivalent to anti-Irish sentiment.

16 Likes

Wow! That’s news to me!

And here I’ve been all of this time believing that the Civil War was fought for states’ rights.

I’m sure glad that McConnell has cleared that up for me… and everyone else.

14 Likes
  1. Well Reconstruction was a good idea…but those people were not up snuff to handle being treated like real
    Americans.
  2. Jim Crow was just nostalgia for days gone past.
2 Likes

I think (1) the Republican party would restore slavery if it could; (2) black Americans face grave racial injustice here and now; (3) talking about reparations for historical injustices is a terrible, awful, massively counterproductive idea that will backfire.

2 Likes

It’s great to see the Democratic field coming around to the idea of supporting reparations.

Or at least most of the field. Always a few stray weeds.

McConnell had better be careful.

Coates can chew him up and spit him out without breaking a sweat.

11 Likes