Discussion: Stewart: Midterm Fever Is 'Just Like Ebola Except Way More Expensive' (VIDEO)

Discussion for article #228778

My doG, things are getting so sloppy at TPM that they can’t even embed the right video.

Here’s the link to the Daily Show clip:

Jon Stewart completely overreached on this one, and misses the point.

You cannot suggest that Democrats should unilaterally disarm in the fundraising and money chase for political campaigns simply because they think that the rules are wrong.

Let’s say a Major League Manager thinks that the replay rule is stupid and harms the game. Should he never challenge a play he knows is completely wrong? He would lose games, lose his job, and lose his influence in changing the rules.

Or a NFL coach who hates the two point conversion, thinking it belongs in college and not the pro game. When down two points after scoring a touchdown with two seconds left in the game, should he call for an extra point kick and eschew the two point conversion?

The rules are unlimited money in political campaigns. If the Democrats give up on raising and spending money on political campaigns then the Democrats will lose the Senate, the House, the White House, the Supreme Court and the United States of America.

The e-mails are idiotic, yes. But the idea that Democrats are hypocrites for not unilaterally giving in and playing by the rules they’d prefer rather than the rules they have is idiotic.

7 Likes

The emails are not just idiotic. They are extremely annoying. I unsubscribe and delete all without sending money because they infuriate me.

3 Likes

Some days, Jon Stewart and his writers just phone it in. His “both sides are guilty” shtick is as destructive as anything the lazy, simpering idiots of the mainstream media do.

5 Likes

Ah, sweet relief! Over the past 2 weeks I have I unsubscribed from more than a half dozen and my daily emails dropped by at least 40 per day. I just give to Act Blue and designate DCCC or DSCC.

2 Likes

Why Stewart feels the need to throw republicans a bone every now and than is beyond me. All the emails can be annoying, but I realize that the democratic party doesn’t get anywhere near the money from corporate America that the republican party gets. Financially speaking, the democrats need all the help they can get from their supporters.

It’s time that we rally to restore sanity to the Daily Show.

Jon Stewart, your extreme privilege is showing.

1 Like

I agree, and I don’t give to the DCCC, the DSCC or the state of federal parties. Sometimes I give to my county party, but mostly I just give to candidates I support.

And even THEY insist on stupid e-mail come-ons!

2 Likes

That bit just didn’t work. I dislike all the emails. I haven’t given this time around because I’m un/under employed. But I don’t know how you hope to compete against the Kochs/Club for Growth/RNSC etc. w/o beating the bushes for all the cash you can. And besides- it just wasn’t funny.

I actually do give money to Democratic candidates in my state and district. Not because I’m a red hot Democrat, cause that will never happen until I see them slitting Republican throats. It’s not that I love Democrats. But I despise Republicans, viscerally, with every fiber of my being, like Ahab and Moby Dick.

That said, I get begging emails from every f*cking Democrat in the country, and have to continuously unsubscribe from candidates running in districts 3000 miles away from me. I don’t sign petitions any more for this reason–and I am thinking of giving no more money to local candidates–the emails are just too much. They’re like swarms of piranhas, each one wants to take a bite.

1 Like

I can’t watch the video at work (or I can’t hear it, which makes watching it kind of pointless). Given it’s Jon Stewart, and given that he ends up saying it’s just $5, I imagine the whole thing is a joke. I find it hard to believe that a man as intelligent and savvy as Jon Stewart would actually advocate an overly idealistic position like that.

The impression that I have from the quotes here is that the only thing he’s really disparaging is the fear mongering e-mails, and in that respect, both sides do do it. I don’t get many republican ones so maybe they are worse, but the democrats send plenty.

Again, I realize I’m speaking as someone who can’t watch the video so maybe I’m way off base, but that’s my take from the article.

He ends it with the e-mails, but he spends the first few minutes mocking Democrats for raising money while advocating for less money in campaigns.