Discussion: States Try To Get Ahead of Possible Court Decision Striking Obamacare Subsidies

Discussion for article #225649

Where are the Democratic leaders on this issue? Hundreds of thousands of US Citizens stand to be priced out of healthcare insurance. Pres Obama was crucified over insurance cancellations…where none of those people actually lost coverage, but simply had to change insurance carriers.

Now, thousands will LOSE coverage. All thanks to the RW and their cronies. Obviously, the two states mentioned want no part of this GOP “win”. They’re preemptively running for cover.

For all we’ve heard about Obamacare from the RW. Think about this. Millions of previously uninsured are now insured due to Obamacare. We know this factually. I’ve not heard of anyone who can say the opposite. Meaning, no one who was insured, is now uninsured…because of Obamacare. Again…where are the Democrats on this?

11 Likes

They have always been state-based. Each exchange, whether the website is run by Healthcare.gov or a State run website, are state-based exchanges.

12 Likes

how effective do you think that will be as a legal distinction if this gets out of hand? i’d love it if a little ju-jitsu could fix this-

I doubt that it will make it past the en banc stage since I don’t think the SCOTUS will take up any subsequent appeal. That said, even the CBO’s analysis of all the proposed and the passed versions of the ACA, since 2009 onward, have made clear that subsidies were to all 50 state exchanges, whether the websites were Federally run or state run.

16 Likes

Sounds like common sense to me. And if we had a congress with any common sense (talking to YOU, Orange Man) they’d just pass a quick 2 sentence legislative fix and be done with it.

Instead we’ll see more litigation.

15 Likes

Don’t get your undies in a wad, this will never go to SCOTUS and the original bad ruling will never survive an en banc review.

The end.

10 Likes

Not so sure about The End part. Medicare and Social Security passed how long ago and there is no The End to undo these safety nets. Just sayin.

4 Likes

The section of the law for subsidies says “established by the state.”

But another section says that federal exchanges will take their place in states which don’t create exchanges.

A reasonable interpretation is that everything which applies to exchanges “established by the state” applies to the federal exchanges, including subsidies.

4 Likes

1h
Where are the Democratic leaders on this issue? Hundreds of thousands of US Citizens stand to be priced out of healthcare insurance. Pres Obama was crucified over insurance cancellations…where none of those people actually lost coverage, but simply had to change insurance carriers.
Now, thousands will LOSE coverage. All thanks to the RW and their cronies. Obviously, the two states mentioned want no part of this GOP “win”. They’re preemptively running for cover.
For all we’ve heard about Obamacare from the RW. Think about this. Millions of previously uninsured are now insured due to Obamacare. We know this factually. I’ve not heard of anyone who can say the opposite. Meaning, no one who was insured, is now uninsured…because of Obamacare. Again…where are the Democrats on this?

This previous comment IMHOP is very worthy, and is not about getting panties in a wad…where ARE THE DEMOCRATS IN THIS? Why are they such cowards about the ACA? It is time to step up to the plate and be proud of what has been done in the name of our people…BY the DEMOCRATS! If they are too cowardly to own up to it, fuck them!

Now my panties are in a knot and it’s all your fault! Lol

5 Likes

thanks.

2 Likes

Are the Republicans nitwit, jackass, butt faced, inhuman monsters or just insane?

2 Likes

God this is great. You know what? I hope that these states find that the only way they can fix this is for them to actually set up their own exchange or put pressure on their representatives to fix the typo.

3 Likes

Second, this.

All Dems running should be pointing out that their GOP opponents want to end access to affordable health insurance. Period. Don’t get dragged into details about state vs federal exchanges or court rulings. Borrow a page from the GOP and turn it into a one sentence message: The GOP wants to take away your insurance.

The DCCC and DSCC should be sued for political malpractice. They run from battles that they could win.

10 Likes

Because Democrats don’t know how to list facts.

Yes.

2 Likes

‘We use O’Bammer’s heathcaredaughtguv website cuz it’s effective, efficient and reliable!’

3 Likes

My prediction is htat within one month of hte November, 2014 elections all but tw states will adopt their own exchanges and websites, taking all the Federal $$. Just like I said two years ago.

They’re just playing it for political points in an attempt to keep their voting stoopids outraged at “that black man” for just one more election cycle.

1 Like

The Senate already tried to act on a bill immediately after the ruling and was filibustered by the GOP (surprise!) and Pelosi and the Democratic House leadership have done what they can… namely making vocifierous statements.

Obama is contemplating an Executive Order to rationally deal with the issue and has garnered a lawsuit by GOP leaders in Congress for his trouble.

Not to be too snarky, but if you’re this emotional about the issue, why didn’t you already know this? And what don’t you understand about our wonderful bi-polar/party political system right now?

If a state takes an action to contract with the feds for their exchange, then that’s an exchange ‘established by the state’… the rest is contracting bullshit.

4 Likes