Discussion: States Keep Weaseling Around Court Orders Blocking GOP Voting Restrictions

What is most galling about Ohio’s SoS Jon Husted (Sack of S…) is he keeps talking about how he is helping voters. He and the legislature make laws restricting registration and voting, then when the courts strike down the effort, making the state comply “See what I am doing to make sure every citizen can vote?”

Their other stragegy is to change the laws every year to see what they can get away with, then confusing the public.

Complete BS.

19 Likes

Yes, “weaseling”…perfect. Not just a gerund, but the perfect noun to describe these GOP operatives.

11 Likes

There are several reasons no one should be voting Republican for any office whatsoever.

1. Voter suppression. Republicans are committed to having fewer voters, especially fewer voters of color.
  2. Opposition to any gun registration laws.
  3. Opposition to raising the minimum wage and at the same time whining about people who need food stamps.
22 Likes

Careful plotting to undermine,and weaken our democracy is pure evil. It is something our foreign enemies would love to do themselves,but they don’t need to . We have our own governors,and attorney generals doing it for them. These people are evil.

24 Likes

Typical lawless GOP behavior.

6 Likes

They actually are against poor white folk voting, too.

4 Likes

A couple comments… First, an advertising campaign essentially saying that 'there are people who are trying to stop you from voting" would be very effective in getting out the vote. Second, we really need to start making examples of these state officials who defy the courts. A little jail time for contempt of court would do it. Messing with democracy is a serious offense.

27 Likes

The three faces above would fit perfectly on any used-car lot or as preacher in church!

8 Likes

Book 'em, Danno. Book 'em all!

3 Likes

There has to be a special place in hell for the Republican wienies who are actively trying to suppress voter turnout.

6 Likes

They are following in the footsteps of their ex Dear Leader :smile:

I can’t think of a more subversive and repugnant act a political party, in general, could undertake than trying to suppress voting in a democratic republic.

http://a4.img.talkingpointsmemo.com/image/upload/c_fill,fl_keep_iptc,g_faces,h_171,w_312/lo4dvfm4wyspseqgslzt.jpg

Dumb/Dumber/Dumbest

(They’re interchangeable.)

17 Likes

By far, the biggest problem facing the country today is too many Republicans. Sen. Kaine blew a golden opportunity, when asked how he and Sec. Clinton would bring the country together when elected, to state the obvious. Electing Sec. Clinton isn’t enough!

If Republicans retain the House and / or Senate, it will be 8 more years of investigators asking the questions raised by the multiplicity of investigations, because all these investigations look questionable, don’t you know.

If Republicans retain the governorships and state legislatures, it’ll be 8 more years of needing a birth certificate to get a voter ID, while needing an ID to get a birth certificate. And if you’re a woman who followed the custom of changing your last name, don’t forget your marriage license and/or divorce decree, too.

If Republicans keep running unopposed for town clerks, sheriffs, judges, county supervisors, mayors, city council members and school board members, every podunk county commissioner who cares more about nonresident billionaires than the people who live in the community, will have a campaign war chest at the ready, to graduate to the state assembly for their shot at interfering with citizen’s federal rights to vote and receive health care. And so on.

I had the privilege of seeing the Clintons at a Milwaukee rally in 1992. Bill shouted out every Democrat in the room! I have too many responsibilities to go to a Clinton rally now, so I don’t know if she’s doing this on the stump. She should. Democrats at all levels should slip a few moments of party building into their televised appearances, as well.

18 Likes

It is time to use Section 2 of the 14th Amendment and strip these states of a couple Republican congressman as punishment for denying people their right to vote.

5 Likes

MoRe prOOf that LibTarDs will lie, cheaT, and litigatE to disenfranchise Americans in Favor of, Black anchor babies, poors and college StudenTs.

10 Likes

And this will continue until the Federal authorities force them to comply. The Civil Rights Act was withdrawn too soon and there are still people in the states who are convinced they have the right to stop African Americans from voting.

3 Likes

Are there any Democrats supporting any voter restriction efforts? I mean, if voter fraud is such a big problem… where is the Democratic party’s effort to resolve it? Or, is it only the visionaries of the Republican mindset that believe the enormity of it? Gee! if this has been going on every 4 years since 1788 - when the hell are we going to do something about it???

1 Like

Is anyone shocked? What else would you expect weasels to do but weasel? (Apologies to weasels out there.)

7 Likes

I think this sort of behavior is not going to stop unless there is a repeal of the law that allowed certain states to implement new voting laws without the express permission of DOJ. Or, when the Repuglican party ceases to exist, whichever comes first.

2 Likes

I think everyone needs to stop calling it voter suppression. Call it by its real name - voter fraud. Yes, the very thing these Republicans purport to be the champions against. While “suppression” is accurate and is a subset of voter fraud, it just doesn’t trigger the same reaction. Look at the words “suppression” vs “fraud” and ask which “sounds” worse.

I also think its accurate (and obvious) to say that these Republican tactics have caused more voter fraud (resulting in the prevention of legal votes to be cast) than the voter fraud they claim to be preventing (illegal votes cast). And unlike the vapor that is “illegal votes” cause it’s a non-problem, the legitimate voter fraud caused by these actions can be proven and demonstrated.

fraud
frĂ´d/Submit
noun
wrongful or criminal deception intended to result in financial or personal gain.
“he was convicted of fraud”
synonyms: fraudulence, cheating, swindling, embezzlement, deceit, deception, double-dealing, chicanery, sharp practice; More
a person or thing intended to deceive others, typically by unjustifiably claiming or being credited with accomplishments or qualities.
“mediums exposed as tricksters and frauds”
synonyms: impostor, fake, sham, charlatan, quack, mountebank; More

9 Likes