Discussion: Starbucks Tells Employees To Start Dialogues About Race With Customers

Discussion for article #234382

Race?

Just GIMME THE GODDAMN COFFEE!!

5 Likes

Jesus fuck, is this a joke?

5 Likes

Did TPM slip in a story by The Onion instead?

9 Likes

How about we talk about laziness…

(ducks from the angry response)

When you think about it…racism, sexism, homophobia…practically all prejudices stem from systemic laziness out of one group (white, cisgender, heterosexual, rich men). Basically, prejudice allows people not to have to think about someone as a human being and just sticks everyone into a particular category of wrongness so long as they aren’t within that one group…see…laziness.

In other words, white, cisgender, heterosexual, rich men are the laziest sods on the planet!

No kidding. It’s seriously the worst idea ever.

“I see you’re black. How’s that workin’ out for you?”

(facepalm)

18 Likes

I’ve patronized a Starbucks with a predominantly Black staff and watched how they harmoniously interact on a daily basis with a predominately White clientele headed for high end jobs in Chicago’s financial district.

And Starbucks now wants to f**k that up?

7 Likes

No matter the fact that these folks don’t get paid enough nor are they trained to do this, it trivializes the whole discussion. I just can’t wait for the inevitable comment on my iced mocha drink of choice being compared to my skin color.

11 Likes

I don’t speak about race unless it’s with close friends. Speaking about it with total strangers seems confrontational to me… how in hell could it not?

11 Likes

I grew up in North Dakota. A Finn is a minority there. I freaked out when I moved. “You mean I gotta deal with different COLORS now?”

2 Likes

This should go over swimmingly.

“Would you like that black or should I leave a little room at the top for privilege?”

18 Likes

Just another reason for me to be proud that I have never had a cup of coffee in my life and I’m going on 60.

1 Like

Is it, um, OK to ask for black coffee? This worries me. Should I ask a white barista or a barista of color? This worries me.

7 Likes

I really don’t want to have a sound bite discussion of an important issue in a retail checkout line. In fact, let me go one further: please quit asking me what I’m doing this weekend or five questions about how my day is. I came for coffee, give me the coffee. You want to improve things, give your workers a raise.

14 Likes

I can just see Bill O’Reilly walking into Starbucks and saying he was in a race riot because he discussed the plight of the East TImorese with a barista.

4 Likes

40% of the employees are minorities? Save the “race together” ink and pay them more. That would speak louder than some stupid fucking cup’s marketing design.

8 Likes

“Hi!. I would like a venti double mocha, half caf latte with a whisper of cinnamon and a full-bore race riot please.”

I’ll talk about race if you want. What was the race of the terminal brain-damage case who came up with THIS idea?

4 Likes

I thought the guy who came up with this died after his last idea:

2 Likes

Conversations alone are worthless, and people who have no solutions and offer up the idea of having one know it’s only done as an appeasement in the face of something they cannot effect. My local Starbucks half-heartedly objected to Lyndon LaRouche’s bots setting up a table outside a store with a poster of Obama with a Hitler moustache, and it wasn’t until I spilled my 16-oz whatever on their leaflets that they disbanded. Also, fearsome better half got on their case. No conversations necessary.

5 Likes

I talked to one of my uncles a few years ago about high gas prices.

We’re all better now.

3 Likes