Discussion: Sorry, The Tea Party ‘Surge’ Isn’t Driving Polarization

Discussion for article #224246

I blame right-wing media, which poison the minds of their highly susceptible consumers with propaganda and lies.

“The causes of polarization lie elsewhere.”

It’s the media.

I always say, vote longterm incumbents out. longterm incumbents with their greedy ivy league staff are responsible for the inequality that exist in our economy today. mcdaniels is probably the biggest jerk running, however get the incumbent out first and in two years a better candidate will run

" mcdaniels is probably the biggest jerk running, however get the incumbent out first and in two years a better candidate will run"

Of course the obvious flaw in this argument is that if McDaniels wins, he will almost certainly win the general and it will be six years not two before a better candidate can run. The real question is how much damage to Mississippi and to national politics will McDaniels do in those six years? Judging from his rhetoric and his past statements the answer is also obvious, plenty.

The great irony is that with the loss of the seat on the Senate Appropriations Committee, Mississippi property taxes and income taxes will have to either rise dramatically to cover the loss of federal funds or Mississippi will give new meaning to the phrase “Number 50 of 50”. All indications are that it will be a combination of both and racial politics in Mississippi are about to turn very ugly again.

3 Likes

It is a six year term.

I believe you’d have to wait until 2020 to make the statistical statements. The article states the number of challenges increased in 2010, most likely (IMO) due to the “mood of the country” (PPACA, black guy in the WH, etc.) and of course the impact of Citizens United. You could argue in 2012 potential challengers would not want to go on the ballot when Obama voters would be voting (yes, i realize we are talking primary challengers, but the fact that it is a presidential election year may have dissuaded potential primary challengers from entering). Run the stats after several post-CU election cycles and see if that still holds true.