Discussion: Sony Hack Exposes Email Convo About Obama Liking Kevin Hart, 'Django'

Discussion for article #231149

Isn’t it interesting when you get caught, how fast you apologize for what ever the offense.

5 Likes

Personally, I would not have expected most Hollywood producers to be brilliant, insightful philosophers. So, reading that he made simplistic, stereotype-enforcing comments is not a surprise.

3 Likes

This should quell the ‘Hollywood’ falls into line for Obama meme.

8 Likes

Should apologize for what he is rather than for what he said.

7 Likes

Both of them are just rich, racist white trash conservative cunts. Color me shocked at what a paycheck of that size can do to a person.

Thanks Anon…keep 'em comin.

5 Likes

Jesus Christ, really? - this is what TPM considers worthy of putting on the front page in light of everything else going on…

1 Like

The usual weasel apology (from NYT article today):

“To anybody I’ve offended, I’m profoundly and deeply sorry, and I regret
and apologize for any injury they might have caused,” the film producer
Scott Rudin said in a statement after the disclosure of his private
email banter with Amy Pascal, Sony’s co-chairwoman, about Mr. Obama and
black-themed films. “I made a series of remarks that were meant only to
be funny, but in the cold light of day, they are in fact thoughtless and
insensitive — and not funny at all.”

Ms. Pascal said in her own statement: “The content of my emails to Scott
were insensitive and inappropriate but are not an accurate reflection
of who I am. Although this was a private communication that was stolen, I
accept full responsibility for what I wrote and apologize to everyone
who was offended.”

I’d agree that this story is NewsLite. At the same time there is so much depressing news, including the disgusting budget bill that was passed last night, that sometimes it’s okay to dabble in nonsense. And if you didn’t know why what Hollywood turns out is crap not fit for adults but only for 17-year old boys, look no further than Scott Rudin.

8 Likes

I bet Scott Rudin likes Fiddler on the Roof.
Not funny, huh?

14 Likes

Poster children for limousine liberals right here. I sure black people are regularly pulled over in their neighborhoods for DWB as well.

Or Schindler’s List or Sophie’s Choice, he probably loves The Pianist.

Honestly, this strikes me as one of those conversations in which you’re playing off one another making really terrible, awfully inappropriate jokes that you really don’t mean. It comes off to me like they’re riffing off one another. I don’t know that I really think this is racist as much as I think this is just assholes being assholes.

14 Likes

These are the people who decide what gets to your screens. Now you know why Hollywood movies are always so original and lacking in tired clichés.

6 Likes

I couldn’t watch Twelve Years a Slave. I had to stop it after the first 30 minutes because it was just too fucking godawful to contemplate how human beings could do that to other humans beings. To even joke about that makes my stomach turn. I don’t go to the “movies” because the theater experience feels like getting raped. I am a Netflix fan. But, the menu of things I actually feel like watching has shrunk to nothing. Give me HBO and Comedy Central. Don’t need nothing else. Actually, I’d rather read a book.

5 Likes

And of course Woody Allen movies

You know what turns my stomach? Comparing going to the movie theater to being raped.

2 Likes

So what you say is not an accurate reflection of who you are? Are you sure, Ms. Pascal? Is it possible that what you say is a precise reflection of who you are, just not one you are willing to acknowledge? Doesn’t that seem more likely than the idea that what you say is not who you are?

5 Likes

MY Sentiments exactly. Who cares?

Exactly.
Most times, we reveal our true selves when no one is watching.
And her comment about the email conversation never meaning to be public is irrelevant. The fact is they did end up being made public and showed the type of real conversations she has about people when she thinks no one is watching.
Her apology is lame - she’s only “sorry” they were caught without their masks.

I want to believe this is not indicative if the type of people who run SONY. I really want to believe that but I am having a really hard time with that.

I also think if these people were Black and had made the type of comments about Sarah Palin; making comments about the type of movies they’d assume she’d like based on her race and such, the story would be less dismissed and taken more seriously. I also believe there would be calls for their jobs…

3 Likes

I’m pretty sick of these twelve year old hacks that ‘apologize’ and think it’s A-OK…

1 Like