Discussion: Some Dems Say They Plan To Boycott Trump's First State Of The Union Address

Well I’d pay good money to see that.

4 Likes

I’d like something far more demonstrative, although It would be hard to keep whatever it is from leaking. We’ve had a year of Dems going about their business in a grown-up way. The Repugnics have shown their hand - they are not operating from good faith. At some point it becomes the Dems responsibility to protect the system itself.

8 Likes

I think it’s not obstructionist if you boycott the SOTU on the very same grounds as you would ordinarily attend it: respect for the rule of law, the constitution, and the importance of the union. You give a press conference explaining this, and in particular detailing (1) the racism of the POTUS, with emphasis on the fact that his policies are based on racism and are intended to divide the union on racial grounds; (2) the unprecedented corruption and self-enrichment of the POTUS; and (3) the complicity of the GOP and its misuse of its legislative and tax-raising powers to enrich its donors rather than the people. You use the phrase “democratic emergency” and describe the GOP as a “completely broken party unfit to hold office or be entrusted with the protection of our constitution, national security, and American way of life.”

17 Likes

All true. But there may be ways to communicate that at the SOTU itself. Which event will have the built-in worldwide audience?

Since the SOTU allows a Dem response, how about turning that into a mass-demonstration event for the first time ever?

11 Likes

I like that.

11 Likes

How about flipping their American flag lapel pins upside down as a symbol of distress.

11 Likes

Come and bear witness but walkout midway with a press conference on the steps outside explaining exactly why it was necessary; the points @nemo lays out for example.

6 Likes

“Why would I take my time to go and sit and listen to a liar?” Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) said

The truth, no pussyfooting around. Sure wish we had more of this. Kudos to Ms. Waters.

24 Likes

I love the Black Caucus with my whole being. They are the moral center of this country.

He’s giving a speech about the state of HIS nation, not ours.

14 Likes

Not bad.

3 Likes

I’d endorse boycott.

I’d also endorse standing with backs turned as he bloviates.

And I’d endorse a merciless character-assassination campaign against anyone present who applauds even once.

13 Likes

I like this but I suspect the Secret Service would prevent it.

5 Likes

And even then, it will be nothing but lies. He depends on an audience that is composed of either ignorance or the kind of greed necessary to pretend otherwise.

3 Likes

I think you attend, because the logical end result of an honorable boycott is that Trump delivers the speech to a room of GOP enablers. But you don’t applaud, you don’t stand, you don’t do anything supportive. You go there and stare the piece of shit down. And you do listen to what he says, because whatever lies he spouts may prove effective weapons against him later. And because you likely have an obligation to refute those lies later.

Trump is legally obligated to deliver the speech, and you go there to make sure he does it, and not just to a room of fellow liars.

22 Likes

What, they shoot down those that leave?

3 Likes

What else ever comes out of the man but lies and vulgarity and racism and hate?

He’s likely to blather on about unity and harmony and love and it’s nothing but shit coming from him. The only time he tells the truth is in tweets. Occasionally he does it in interviews.

2 Likes

That does make some sense actually.

In that case, everyone who attends makes themselves available to any media or press they can, call in favors, flood the airways with comment? Make it a roar. Before and after. Kind of lock up the space before the others do.

2 Likes

Now I am being silly, does it have to be congressperson to give a rebuttal.

Can they haul in Colbert or Stewart?

[Weird, that I bank on two comedians so much, sign of the times]

6 Likes

Trump is legally obligated to deliver the speech, and you go there to make sure he does it, and not just to a room of fellow liars.

No, he is not legally obligated to deliver a speech. He is legally obligated to deliver the State of the Union. He could submit a document instead. It would cause an uproar, but that would legally suffice.

5 Likes

No. The response is a modern practice and mostly has been delivered by Senators or Representatives, but lately Governors have done it as well.

2 Likes
Comments are now Members-Only
Join the discussion Free options available