Discussion: Some 2020 Dems Openly Mulling Idea Of Expanding The Supreme Court

They should start by impeaching Boofie Kavanaugh for his multiple perjuries. Call it a shot across the bow.

13 Likes

Indeed.

No expansion while Trump is President, plus not really the solution to the problem.

2 Likes

YES! My congressman was openly discussing this during the last election and it’s one of the reasons I love Yarmuth so damn much. We simply cannot continue to have a SCOTUS that doesn’t represent the people. Democrats have only lost the popular vote once since 1988 and yet Republicans have a majority of SCOTUS seats. This isn’t democracy.

13 Likes

But as @georgeh might remind us, it’s perfectly constitutional.

3 Likes

This will only work if Dems take the presidency AND the senate. I’m also leery of this becoming a major campaign issue as there’s nothing like chatter about the SCOTUS to bring out the knuckle draggers.

4 Likes

A myriad of 2020 Democratic contenders are now openly considering the idea of expanding the Supreme Court should they become President

By itself this change will not help.

Imagine trying to undo a twelve-seat Republican majority on a fifteen-seat Court.

How long would that take?

1 Like

This has been one of my favorite day dreams since donnie’s first SC appt.

I will say that this needs to be explained carefully so that it rallies the liberals rather than inciting the right to vote.

2 Likes

Good idea but, keep in on the DL until after we win the WH and Senate.

3 Likes

Exacto Mondo!

Clearly manifested in the following: half of the Democratic senators represent the 20 largest states, while over two-thirds of the Republicans represent the 30 smallest states.

The disproportionate representation is staggering and is the very antithesis of Democracy, more like Apartheid in bolder forms than South Africa had.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly. One criticism I’ll make of the party as a whole is that we have GOT to do a better job explaining to our voters the importance of SCOTUS and the judiciary. Republicans have done remarkably well at pounding this into their voters’ heads and it’s why even Republicans who didn’t at all like PP still went out and voted for him anyway.

6 Likes

And…it seems that they did it quietly amongst themselves for a long time to hide their strategy. The one exception being the trigger word “abortion”

4 Likes

This shouldn’t be openly mulled. It should not even be discussed. It should simply be done, once in power. You act; you explain your action after the event; and then, when opposition is at its loudest, you ram through something else that you want and that Republicans don’t want, or don’t yet know they want. Then you repeat the process with this second thing.

I would never have thought to advocate such an approach in the old days. But since Republicans will be up in arms and outraged even if you meet them halfway, or ninety percent of the way, there is no, or not enough, PR difference between doing the right thing and do the incremental thing, might as well go the whole hog.

In this case, we’re looking at a Supreme Court and federal judiciary that has been warped by unprecedented, almost unthinkable Republican Senate maneuvers. We’re looking at the least legitimate president in modern history. We’re looking at a Senate whose composition contradicts the will of American voters. So the political-constitutional basis for expanding the Court is very strong. My only concern is that the Republicans will do it first. I’m amazed they haven’t, to be honest. That’s why it is imprudent to discuss it. Just act.

3 Likes

Should appoint 4 New justices, because all the lower court Trump Judges represent a judicial emergency.

1 Like

That should be an easy task and sell…Clearing SCOTUS of RW rubbish, and completely de-nut/neutralize the gawdawful regressions they’ve brought in since Scalia.

Right, don’t talk about it, that will bring the vermin out of the woodwork. Just win and then do it, and in the same act use 3,2,2 to remove campaign finance from SCOTUS appellate jurisdiction. Then pass mandatory public funding of all federal races and we can finally start fixing this country so the fixes stick.

1 Like

So true. Democrats need to follow that exact same playbook.

They can’t. They could’ve until Democrats took control of the House. Now there’s literally zero chance. It’s also why we don’t need to be scared to talk about it.

3 Likes

Republicans have not needed to do it but you can definitely depend on them on trying after the next Dem president does. How does a Dem President and Dem Senate expand SCOTUS in a way that would be impossible for a future Republican pres/senate to do?

This could turn into a situation that the party that controls POTUS and the Senate appoints as many justices as necessary to get a majority. We could end up having to build a new facility to house all of them. Unfortunately, I don’t see any other option, especially if the Repuke majority on the SC starts blocking progressive legislation.