Discussion: Should Rapists Write Memoirs?

Discussion for article #240370

I’ve started to think that every man I know is probably capable of having raped someone

That’s an awfully bold claim, and the author rests it on the assertion that “only one of my male friends has ever even thought about whether they might have been actors in one of these stories.” How does the author support this claim? Is he privy to his male friends’ thoughts? And is the pathology of criminals—the lack of remorse for their actions or the denial that they’ve done anything wrong—directly transferable to the (presumably) non-criminals who constitute the author’s friends? Does the author think that he is capable of having raped someone?

Eldridge Cleaver admitted to – or boasted about – raping white women in “Soul On Ice.” I don’t recall anyone being too shocked. I always found that strange.

Sex can be love-making or criminal rape because of the internal thoughts of the participants. Therefore, discussion of rape will always be fraught with miscommunication and self-serving justification.

1 Like

Two thoughts on this issue.

1. There should be extensive study of rapist attitudes and beliefs around rape. Only by understanding rapists can they be predicted, stopped, found, and mitigated against in public safety policy. White papers and professional study is essential to confronting this public policy problem.

2. Hell no there shouldn’t be rapist memoirs. Self aggrandizing books glorifying their crimes should not be published for profit. No publishing shop should be able to publish such despicable lies and still stay in business. These memoirs are just the writer rationalizes mixed in with fantasies of reliving the act.