Discussion: Senators Reach Bipartisan Deal On New Russia Sanctions

2 Likes

Uh oh… PeePee’s Overlord will not be pleased that his puppet is not only not lifting existing sanctions but may instead adding more to the mix!

I predict this will pass in the House because the GOP lemmings are looking to 2018 and not liking their chances, but Vlad won’t allow his puppet to sign this bill.

Does Tramp risk vetoing this legislation? You bet!

11 Likes

I’m thinking trump’s marker pen will be out of ink.

4 Likes

“By codifying existing sanctions and requiring Congressional review of any decision to weaken or lift them,

‘Congressional review’? This gives Congress the power to do what exactly? Putin is desperate to have the existing sanctions lifted and Trump is desperate to please Putin. Don’t get it.

More likely Trump will have a signing ceremony and then walk out without signing the bill.

10 Likes

I think this is an early sign of Congress snapping back at Trump’s bullshit. They may not be willing to publicly reprimand him, but a veto-proof bill giving his pro-Russia stance the middle finger is the legislative equivalent of a shot across the bow. A reminder that his power is limited and he can’t keep faffing Congress around, President or not.

12 Likes

i understand the purpose of this legislation, but how pathetic is it to do a legislative workaround because congress can’t trust the president? And the legislation doesn’t cover everything. Trump can still give away our state secrets to the Russians, and work deals with them, he is still in bed with Putin.

3 Likes

More likely Trump will have a signing ceremony and then walk out without signing the bill.

“Don’t mention the tapes!”

1 Like

I suspect Trump will veto any such bill citing Presidential prerogative over foreign affairs, throwing it back to Congress and, possibly, the Supreme Court. It remains to be seen if Republican are willing to go beyond theatrics and put country before party (signs so far are not promising). In the meantime, Trump will be able to do as he wants.

1 Like

The new meme that the republicans are passing around is that Special Counsel is not needed, Russia investigation is sham, etc. That will make it easier for Trump to veto.

2 Likes

I can’t see any bill sponsored by McConnell or Corker being anything other than a piece of shit.

2 Likes

There’s proof McConnell is getting nervous.

6 Likes

I think no matter how far this goes T-rumpus will basically twig out that Congress was getting anywhere near removing authority from him (on any topic). This could be the next realm of some spectacular unforced errors.

3 Likes

Tapes----------He has tapes

“No puppet! No puppet! You’re the puppet!”

Oy! FFS, GOP just impeach the guy already.

1 Like

As a photographer, I face palm so many times with this cretin.
I remember, what seems ages ago, thinking what a dream of dreams job Pete Souza had as WH photog. I’m so glad he trolls with his archive of imagery these days.

3 Likes

I think it gives Congress the power to veto Trump trying to unilaterally lift the sanctions himself.

1 Like