Discussion: Senate On Verge Of Blocking Trump Emergency Declaration With Latest Defection

I would like to believe that these three (and perhaps other) will not have spinal collapse. But… color me skeptical.

38 Likes

There is a genuine possibility that there are still just enough members of the GOP that still have a spine, and are still capable of understanding the fundamental best interests of this country that collectively, they can band together to neuter the Dotard in the WH. Doing so would be in their own interests. Doing so would be in this nation’s interests. There is still the possibility that a few of them see this reality.

29 Likes

Doesn’t mean anything unless they’re willing to go veto-proof.

Fucking spineless Republicans.

Forget the ERA, we need a Constitutional Amendment that stops politicians from using flag lapel pins unless they actually support the Constitution and what the flag stands for.

36 Likes

Spines, spines, what is spines?

/s

13 Likes

How many are needed to override the veto?

5 Likes

Fuck Susan Fucking Lying Ass Liar Collins, and her sanctimonious faux hand wringing. I’m glad to have her vote on this, but she’ll NEVER atone for her bullshit pretend close scrutiny of Kavanaugh’s confirmation. He made a liar of her, like she knew he would. I hope she spends the rest of her final term making up for that.

34 Likes

The standard, 2/3rds.

5 Likes

It’s the institutionalists vs. those who should be institutionalized.

30 Likes

I’m not. It’s a stupid, unpopular strategy to win a stupid, unpopular policy (which won’t actually win)… and they can very correctly defend their apostasy with “when a Democrat does this later, it’s gonna bite us in the ass”.

I’m surprised more haven’t come out against it, and I’m going to be annoyed if, once again, we post-hoc reinterpret GOP intransigence as just another meaningless exception rather than weighing it as a new, meaningful, coequal data point.

They’re all fuckers, but the record shows that they’re mostly fuckers out for their own interest, and less than excited to crucify themselves for Trump’s stupid fucking wall.

17 Likes

Yes, so 67 minus 49 (presumably) equals 18. Yeah, not gonna happen.

7 Likes

Math is not my strong suit :relaxed:

6 Likes

Poor Republican Party; too small to be a nation, yet too large to be an insane asylum.

26 Likes

2020 is on Tillis’ mind. NC is moving to blue with a Democratic governor and a D replacement for Sanford and he knows it.

19 Likes

27 Likes

I disagree. There would be real value in putting Russia’s Agent Orange in the position of vetoing it, or not, even if the veto can’t be overridden.

18 Likes

Keith Olbermann, right?

3 Likes

“As a U.S. senator, I cannot justify providing the executive with more ways to bypass Congress. As a conservative, I cannot endorse a precedent that I know future left-wing presidents will exploit to advance radical policies that will erode economic and individual freedoms,” Tillis wrote in an op-ed in the Washington Post.

You know no such thing. Trump is the most ignorant, unprincipled and lawless president ever, a real freak in this genre. Still, your vote will be welcome. I’m thinking that by the time it is voted on there will be many others. It will be a good proxy for an impeachment head count and a barometer of oppositional sentiment. The game is afoot with Cohen testifying Wednesday.

20 Likes

I guess Tillis is aware that is going to be difficult to cheat in North Carolina’s next election with all the cheaters and electoral alchemists being taken out of business in the NC 9 fiasco.

17 Likes

Hey Senate GOP, put your big BOY pants :jeans: on to BLOCK TRUMP! Remember YOU have already said NO to the vanity wall too!!!

6 Likes