Discussion: Senate O’Care Talks Lurch Forward With Fresh Optimism From A Key GOPer

3 Likes

“Of course, it’s not everything I want,” Cassidy said of the general talks, “but that’s life.”

Or death, maybe, depending. It’s not like they care.

3 Likes

”One of its key provisions, an auto-enrollment feature that would automatically put individual consumers on a bare-bones plan as a way of expanding the risk pool, is reportedly on the table in the broader conference-wide discussions.”

Great.

“Universal access” is now a garbage policy with a $10K deductible, a $50K cap, and countless exclusions.

CrapCare™ for everyone!

10 Likes

So much for windsock Lindsey.

2 Likes

Still ‘vaporware’?

5 Likes

Wasn’t it just 3/4 weeks ago this guy Cassidy was stating it didn’t pass the Jimmy Kimmel test?

4 Likes

Cassidy, a physician, has been a ringleader of sorts…

Gotta say, If I were sick, I’d rather go with a Pirahã shaman than ‘Dorko Doofus’, M.D., here.

4 Likes

Glide path?

That’s a nice way to describe a semi-controlled crash landing.

Forget the Jimmy Kimmel test … this won’t even pass the Sully Sullenberger test!

3 Likes

Rally round the (GOP) flag boys. This is cover for the fact that they can not get anything passed. You notice no one says it can get the votes needed, just that they might bring it to a vote.

2 Likes

As Josh Marshal pointed out, resting our hopes on the backbones of moderate republicans is a sucker’s bet. They will cave in an instant.

7 Likes

And its not just owing to obstruction by the Democrats, who are, at this point, only doing what they can to slo-walk legislation. These detestable GOP mountebanks are simply incompetent and incapable of the analysis and nuanced thinking it takes to develop policy and broadly beneficial legislation.

3 Likes

If you’ve never read it, I enthusiastically recommend Daniel Everett’s “Don’t Sleep, There Are Snakes”. (It’s mostly a work for hard-core linguists, but I found it amusing nonetheless.) It recounts so many of the Pirahã customs that baffle academics (including “whistled language”), and their belief only in the evidence of their own senses – lacking any concept of a supreme being.

Christian missionaries have spent (literally) centuries vainly trying to convert them. In the 70s, Everett took his missionary wife and three kids to live among them, and to translate Christian scripture into their indigenous language.

It was a case-study in irony: Instead of the missionary converting them, they converted the missionary. (No small task, considering he was an alumnus of Moody Bible Institute!) He lost his faith, his wife, and his kids, but eventually went on to become Chair of Languages at Pitt, and then at Illinois State.

5 Likes

Fascinating–I did not know any of this…

1 Like

“We get rid of the individual and employer mandates, which I think the American people want to do, and there’s a concerted thought about how to lower costs,” he said.

Are they all that totally ignorant about how the insurance market works or are they counting on the total ignorance of their base to obediently praise what the GOP assures them provides "great health care in a much simplified form. Much less expensive and much better… lower numbers, much lower deductibles.”

After they eliminate the mandates their aggressive waiver system will have to allow policies that exclude coverage for claims based on sickness or injury.

2 Likes

One of its key provisions, an auto-enrollment feature that would automatically put individual consumers on a bare-bones plan as a way of expanding the risk pool, is reportedly on the table in the broader conference-wide discussions.

It sounds like “auto-enrollment” is a form of mandatory sign up. Bare bones meaning junk insurance that costs very little but isn’t accepted by any doctor near you.

Therefore, you have don’t have health insurance.

I said this before and I’ll say it again: whatever remains of the ACA will morph into a Red State/Blue State gambit where the Blue States do their best to offer health insurance (maybe even single payer??) to keep people from dying in the streets. The Red States will get “freedom”.

4 Likes

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality.

Joseph Conrad

1 Like

So how does this auto-enrollment thing work? Do people have to pay for this thing they’re automatically enrolled in, or is it tax money that gets paid to insurance companies as a bribe for supporting the bill? It sounds like it’s absolutely anything except the current medicaid notion – crazy, I know – of paying healthcare providers directly for care delivered to poor people.

2 Likes

Will be honest, I do not understand someone who went through the schooling and hard work to be a doctor and then opts for sleazy politician. Seems they could do a lot more using their medical skills versus voting to kill people with lousy medical care.

This is the same guy:

“In 1998, Cassidy helped found the Greater Baton Rouge Community Clinic to provide uninsured residents of the greater Baton Rouge area with access to free health care. The Clinic provides low-income families with free dental, medical, mental health and vision care through a “virtual” approach that partners needy patients with doctors who provide care free of charge.[7]”

In the wake of Hurricane Katrina, Cassidy led a group of health care volunteers to convert an abandoned K-Mart building into an emergency health care facility, providing basic health care to victims of the hurricane.[10]

3 Likes

“Here, have some of this delicious shit, you’ll be grinning from ear to ear just like me in no time.”

1 Like